+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 71 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Sony TTS-8000 Turntable

I'm mark.

Patrick, glad it worked out for you, I tried quite hard to buy it but the seller got the hump when the add was 1st pulled by ebay for COC, thought I'd reported him ( I hadn't).

Re: plinth material, I've tried a few with Garrard 401 *, slate and Panzer sit collecting dust as I prefer ply with an isolated Corian armboard. Beech Multiplex with isolated top plate was superior, but I'm not convinced it worth the extra cost (£200 vs £50) for a sheet.

I reckon how the arms supported is as much an influence to the sound, so we should be looking at separate arm pods rather than hung up on materials??**

*Garrard's produce much greater amounts of vibration compared to SP10 and TTS.

**Compare a Rega RB arm with nut just tight enough to one thats been spanered, very different sounds.

JohnG, can you point me towards that sheet material, I'm game to try if its cheap

I'm Patrick.

Sometimes you are just in the right place at the right time I think. I didn't really expect to get it, but it probably helps not to be too desperate because if you've just gotta have it, you either overpay or are disappointed.

But then sometimes overpaying a little is not the worst thing in the world either.

I'm Angus.

Quote Originally Posted by karma67 View Post
    ......i may explore is making the tonearm mounting collar in panzerholz,you may want to run that by angus oliver if you read this and see what he thinks if its worth the grief over the standard AT one.....
    There could be an advantage to using a Panzerholz collar with a standard AT-1010. The PMAT-1010 has design features that address issues in that area, but you wouldn't lose anything by trying it. I don't think you would gain anything though.

I'm jamie.

thanks for your input angus,to be honest i was hoping you'd say that as it looks like a load of hassle to do,especially with just a router! lol
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm mark.

Tim/ Spider made a Corian collar for his Alphason HRS-100 to get better position on the SP10 plinth I did for him, he may be able to help if you've Panzar off cut ?

It'd be easier with a lathe though.

I'm jamie.

Default making a new plinth

My project to keep me busy has started,it starts with a template to route out the motor unit for the new plinth.Eager to use my new makita router i made a start.
    The easiest way to do this is use a bearing guided flush cut router bit and follow the cut out on the old plinth.

My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Bigman80 Guest

Watching very closely. The veneer on the Panzerholtz will be of great Interest.

I'm jamie.

i cant decide at the moment between rosewood or cocobolo
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Paul.

Default plinths

Glad to see you're still enjoying the Sony, Jamie. A 110v model came up for sale recently near Lakenheath I think. Bit pricey considering it was missing plinth and cover. Perhaps you can pass on the old ones when you're done creating a new work of art.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wumpling View Post
    Glad to see you're still enjoying the Sony, Jamie. A 110v model came up for sale recently near Lakenheath I think. Bit pricey considering it was missing plinth and cover. Perhaps you can pass on the old ones when you're done creating a new work of art.
    Can't imagine he'll move the original plinth on as they are difficult/impossible to find and a TTS8000 will always command a greater price with its original plinth.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 71 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast