+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 71 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: Sony TTS-8000 Turntable

I'm jamie.

Hi mark, I’m going to have to build my plinth soon, was the resin/ bentonite clay mix worth it?
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm mark.

I've not heard the Sony in anything else so I've no other reference. The point I'm (failing?) trying to make is they're very different to the Garrard/Lenco plinths where energy from the motor/bearing needs to be dealt with and isolated from.
    These DD's (I've recent experience with SP10 too) are silent, barely a blip on switch on with seismic app or stethoscope, so the tuning/sound signature is impacted by what the arm sits on. I've been using Corian for years now, started off with little armboards, but my signature is now solid top with single arm hole, isolated from the motor unit with layer of silicone. Sounds right to me but my ears aren't golden

Having said all that, the best Garrard plinth I've built was Beech multiplex/Corian, Panzer has been too close to slate for my tastes, although its about time I revisited those plinths as the system is ever evolving.

If I ever shift a 301 I have f/s I'll build a resin Garrard plinth, but I'm busting at the seams, one out , one in ATM !

I'm mark.

And despite all the advice about single arm holes, between myself and Spider we've made a system to use SME spacer to fit Linn geometry arm. I'll make another for Rega, although the TTS/Artemiz combo didn't gel.

IMG_5560 by mark leatherland, on Flickr

I'm Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by smangus View Post
    No worries Looks like id have to send mine back to ortofon to get a new engine etc for about £800 if I wanted to get it working again. Pricey but would be a new cart in the old body basically.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Not a new cart in an old body - just a new cart - the ‘trade in’ is actually just an outright discount.
    Account Deleted

I'm Deleted.

The role/purpose/benefit of bentonite in resin entirely escapes me. The primary advantage of bentonite is its ability to absorb large quantities of water - though not when it is trapped in resin. It’s other quality is that it is a fine particulate - but then so are lots of materials.... Bentonite in resin serves no purpose I am aware of!
    Account Deleted

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    Not a new cart in an old body - just a new cart - the ‘trade in’ is actually just an outright discount.
    hi I'm talking about a repair service rather than a trade in for a new cart. You can't get a new KB so if you want one repaired the KB repair service offers the following in the existing body.

"Cartridge repair process

2.1. Upon receipt we open the defective cartridge, detach the motor unit from the body, scrap off all glue etc.
    2.2. A new motor will be installed. A new diamond and cantilever will be mounted. Repaired cartridge is in fact a new product with a new motor.
    2.3. Finally the cartridge will be cleaned and tested.
    2.4.*The test results will be provided along the repaired cartridge.
    *"
    But you can trade in for a new cart from the existing range probably under the trade in scheme?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    At the cutting edge of Numptyness!

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    The role/purpose/benefit of bentonite in resin entirely escapes me. The primary advantage of bentonite is its ability to absorb large quantities of water - though not when it is trapped in resin. It’s other quality is that it is a fine particulate - but then so are lots of materials.... Bentonite in resin serves no purpose I am aware of!
    I believe for this purpose it’s used in pellet sizes and mixed in with the resin?
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm mark.

Re Bentonite, there was a lot of research in the Lenco arena, close to a decade ago. The only commercially available product I know of are BobC’s Garrard plinths, I think they’re quite successful?!

For me I had a void to fill, and am the inquiring type. It won’t be my only effort ����

I'm jamie.

my ortofon KB has arrived back from holistic audio i will be fitting it at the weekend!
    so far im very impressed with the service and turn around.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Robert.

Kilian Bakker / Holistic Audio are top draw in my experience too Jamie
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 71 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast