+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 71 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Sony TTS-8000 Turntable

I'm Patrick.

Based on the enthusiasm shown on this thread, I appear to have purchased a Sony TTS-8000. Haven't got any other DD decks, so I'm interested to see how it compares to my various idlers; Thorens TD124 Mk2, Garrard 301 and EMT 927.

Not sure what arm I will use yet; I think I have another Mission 774 kicking around so maybe I'll start with that.

Is there anything I should know when I collect and transport it?

I'm Geoff.

I owned two excellent idler drives: a 401 in slate plinth and a Goldring G99 in slate also. I kept the TTS8000 and it is a genuinely high end deck. It would cost a lot of money to buy now; tens of thousands if made by a more boutique firm, I expect.
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Dixon View Post
    Based on the enthusiasm shown on this thread, I appear to have purchased a Sony TTS-8000. Haven't got any other DD decks, so I'm interested to see how it compares to my various idlers; Thorens TD124 Mk2, Garrard 301 and EMT 927.

Not sure what arm I will use yet; I think I have another Mission 774 kicking around so maybe I'll start with that.

Is there anything I should know when I collect and transport it?
    Congratulations on the purchase! I think there are transportation screw holes in it somewhere but I'd have to check. If there are, bolt it down and just look after the platter. If the magnetic strip gets damaged it'll never keep speed accurately again.

Most importantly, get phonomac to make you a Panzerholtz plinth. Ive heard one in the original resonic plinth (?), and one in the Panzerholtz. The Panzerholtz sounded a bit more neutral.

Just my opinion.

Enjoy! Oh, the mission arm will be nice on that, if it'll fit.

I'm John.

I have set the TT up in the image, so that it shows the two red transit screws properly located.
    These are usually seen stored in two holes in one of the white label positions.
    You'll become very fond of this deck.

WP_20190331_18_24_10_Pro (2).jpg

I'm Patrick.

Thanks Guys, that's brilliant!

I'm Adam.

Agreed - they are superb decks and very under-rated. I preferred mine to a Technics SP10 Mk2 and still sometimes wonder whether I should have sold it or not!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm jamie.

Agreed I’ve heard both as well, mines not going anywhere
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    I preferred mine to a Technics SP10 Mk2 and still sometimes wonder whether I should have sold it or not!
    I assume, since you are Buriedunderaloadofturntables, that you've kept something that you thought was at least as good?

I find it hard to part with turntables; I sold my LP12s and have no regrets, but I got the 301 rebuilt by Classic turntables and 2 years later it's still in the box waiting for me to sort out the plinth.

I need to find the right arm too. Something that just works and sounds and looks fantastic would fit the bill, especially if it makes a Decca sing. Maybe I should just save up and buy a Kuzma 4 point or something, but it's a lot of money and I've never heard one.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Dixon View Post
    I assume, since you are Buriedunderaloadofturntables, that you've kept something that you thought was at least as good?
    Indeed. I found myself with three Sony turntables - the TTS-8000, a PS-X9 and a Biotracer PS-B80 - and I decided one had to go. The PS-X9 isn't going anywhere (ever!) and the Biotracer is just so funky that the TTS-8000 sadly drew the short straw.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    Indeed. I found myself with three Sony turntables - the TTS-8000, a PS-X9 and a Biotracer PS-B80 - and I decided one had to go. The PS-X9 isn't going anywhere (ever!) and the Biotracer is just so funky that the TTS-8000 sadly drew the short straw.
    I'm in no doubt that the PS-X9 is a bit spesh
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 71 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast