+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Time Tube Roller, Pair of 6SN7's Required.

I'm John.

Default First Time Tube Roller, Pair of 6SN7's Required.

Had a recent discussion about my Monoblocks, the outcome is I would like to experience the effect that different 6NS7's will have on the SQ. There is only one of this tube type per channel, so this seems the most economical start point.
    As a result of my initial investigations, I am now aware of other variants to these tubes, and the Loctal Base Tubes as well.
    I had a offer on a batch of single valves, that could have been assessed on one channel performance, the vendor then asked if I were happy to let somebody else take them, which I was OK with.
    As a first experience I will stick a pair of 6NS7's. I can try a single tube of another brand in a channel at a later date.
    If there are any Matched Pair NOS tubes available, I will be happy to look into them for usage.

I'm Drew.

Hi John...I've got a pair of Sylvania or RCA smoked glass if interested PM me

I'm John.

I've PM'd you.

I'm Julian.

I highly recommend you try the TAD 6SN7's John.
    All the old tubes I tried were very coloured in my pre whilst I find the TAD's essentially neutral and better at frequency extremes. I'm using a quartet of these tubes now.
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by julesd68 View Post
    I highly recommend you try the TAD 6SN7's John.
    All the old tubes I tried were very coloured in my pre whilst I find the TAD's essentially neutral and better at frequency extremes. I'm using a quartet of these tubes now.
    I have a quad of these and am willing to let go of a pair for half original price if your interested.

They have less than 50 hours on them and are matched.
    VPI Scout 1.1, Hana ML, Vanderveen MC10 SUT, WAD Phono3, Rpi3B+/Digione Signature, Xiang Sheng DAC-01, WAD KiT6550 and Reiver Edingdale SR

I'm Spencer.

Default Read Joe's Tube Lore &

If you're a rocker, try the KenRads!
    Sota Star Sapphire V turntable, SME V, Dynavector XX2, MkII MC cartridge, Nagra BPS battery powered phono stage
    Digital: Server Synology DS415+ / Sonore microRendu / Schiit Audio Gungnir Multibit / Custom Linear Power Supply by Ecco Audio
    Both: BAT VK51SE > Krell FPB-300 amp > Sound Lab A3 ESLs > 50 yr. old ears(left-handed)

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Intenso View Post
    I have a quad of these and am willing to let go of a pair for half original price if your interested.

They have less than 50 hours on them and are matched.
    Very good tubes these TADs...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    VPI Scout 1.1, Hana ML, Vanderveen MC10 SUT, WAD Phono3, Rpi3B+/Digione Signature, Xiang Sheng DAC-01, WAD KiT6550 and Reiver Edingdale SR

I'm Andrew.

SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Drew.

He's after 6SN7s not 6SL7s ;-) Similar but not the same tubes...

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post

I'm John.

Andrew
    Thank you for the link and reading.
    I have researched the net and this thread did not show up or I overlooked it.
    Well one things for sure, you have 'Worn the 6SL7 T Shirt'.
    I am not up to speed on how the valves types differ in their function.
    Pleasing to me is my first Matched Pair NOS to be purchased, is the Sylvania 6SN7GT.
    I will also have a TAD Matched Pair as well.
    There are a pair of early Raytheons 6SN7's on offer, but I will work first with the above tubes against my EH ones.
    Your detailed evaluations and scaled scoring and photo,s of the tubes, are a great help for future investigations.
    I'm now glad a valve that seems to have a real influence on the SQ, is limited to one per channel. It makes it a more affordable experience .
    Last edited by JohnG; 16-09-2018 at 16:31.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast