+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EL84 Parallel SE Integrated amp

I'm Des.

Default EL84 Parallel SE Integrated amp

DIY SE EL84 amp - bought from Alan (Firebottle), I replaced the volume pot with a Blue Alps but other than that the 5W per channel has provided wonderful, room filling music with that distinctive bass attack EL84 amps have. It has 2 inputs and being a parallel design can work with only one EL84 in each side so music keeps playing if one EL84 fails! The amp was totally reworked by Alan before I bought it and I think is exceptional value if you have suitable speakers. I can't fault it and I'm only getting rid to try something else. £220 collected from Sheffield

Rega RP8/RB3000/AT OC9XML, Clones Audio PA1, DDDac1794/Pi4, Rega Elicit-r, Bastanis Wildhorn speakers.

I'm Lawrence.

Hi Des what make of EL84s are fitted, also what are the driver/pre valves? Do you have a list of mods by Alan please?
    Thanks, Lawrence

I'm Alan.

The circuit is quite simple, KISS principle, Choke filtered HT, Aikido style driver stage using ECC83, polypropylene coupling capacitors.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    The circuit is quite simple, KISS principle, Choke filtered HT, Aikido style driver stage using ECC83, polypropylene coupling capacitors.
    Thanks Alan did you make it from scratch, I might have got confused as someone was selling a Chinese(?) kit amp that you had "breathed on" recently, is this one your bottom up design?

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Alan.

There wasn't a lot of the Chinese amp to start with really, it was built for 8 pin octal valves which I didn't have.
    So really the only things used were the chassis, input and output connectors, output transformers and the volume pot which has been replaced.

The mains transformer had to be bought so it is a true 240V operation, also with an additional heater transformer for the output valves.

I'm Des.

Thanks Alan, no interest in a great sounding amp?
    Rega RP8/RB3000/AT OC9XML, Clones Audio PA1, DDDac1794/Pi4, Rega Elicit-r, Bastanis Wildhorn speakers.

I'm Lawrence.

Sorry I didn't get back, I decided my speakers weren't sensitive enough, but with the right ones I think this would be a little gem.

I'm Des.

It wasn't aimed at you Lawrence just a general question, you're right though it is a gem, I might keep it and swap between this and the Audiosector chipamp kit I'm in the process of building.

I'm Lawrence.

No didn't think it was, just wanted to make sure you knew. I bought the Audioromy on the Wam in the end 30wpc but no Firebottle magic also probably a 220v transformer

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Lawrence001; 20-09-2018 at 19:22.

I'm Paul.

I would love to try this amp in my system but being a southerner just don't work here. Gutted.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Current system:
    RPi + Allo Digione
    Beresford Caiman Seg & Dorado powered by 15v Linear PSU
    Transcendent Sound Mini Beast OTL
    Amptastic Mini-1
    Klipsch KG4.5 Speakers with Titanium Diagphrams and Sonicap Cap upgrade
    110aH Leisure Battery powers the Mini-1 & Digione

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast