+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skills and experience v bullshit

I'm Colin.

Default Skills and experience v bullshit

Yesterday was as sad disappointment and a big eye opener for me. On Tuesday I delivered for the best Hi-fi Dealer of Inca Tech Claymore from the 1980,s a retro Claymore we now make. Whilst there on the counter was a DUFF modern expensive integrated amp with a combo CD player, it was opened, inside I saw cheap car stereo chips and a very poor PSU design. The whole thing looked as if it came straight from a Application Note. No new designs smaller nasty power supply, Power amp chip,s with crap thermal properties. It then struck me hard the skills of the designer of my past were all gone and this no skill type of design is now in prominent pole position, how long would this piece of kit last, certainly not 40yrs. Then yesterday this fantastic old friend/dealer rang me to tell me the new Claymore Retro sounded just like the old designs but with more holographic sound and deeper bass with lots of grunt. But it showed up equipment faults i.e. the new equipment of today is design to match the same product line, for example Rega to Rega and Linn to Linn . He also told me people are no longer concerned in the quality of the sound and the near real life presentation but only in style and can it talk to digital lies like a NAS systems. What have we done, well we have been conned. The marketing Gura,s (only to make money) have taught us incorrectly and to there opinion that this cheap shite and throw away products is best, best for who I ask?, certainly not the music or you ears and pleasure.
    Now my thanks and good wish go to the staff and my friend Ian for all there help, and to show me to make a product sell it as to glow in the dark be cheap to make and die in a 2yrs, a design a 17yr old could do from a apps note, with no skills or feel for the music but worst of all no experience.

I'm Alan.

Experience certainly counts Colin.
    I have looked at a few things that come from China, many with published circuits on ebay, and the great majority are re-hashes of popular 60's and 70's offerings, mostly American origin. The rest as you say are such blatant apps note circuits, often with the 'latest' craze driven add on included that it can be quite amusing, if it wasn't so disheartening.

The greatest satisfaction in my career was to start with a blank sheet of paper and come up with an elegant design to solve a problem or achieve a required function. It was mainly instrumentation but audio is now giving me the same satisfaction.

I'm Colin.

My first love in my life of working for a living was designing massive linear PSU's then in the mid 1980, I had chance to work with a team that designed high speed SMPSU,s, and audio designing was just a hobby a extension on PSU designs, well a speaker is a load that needs power the same as a any load.
    Why can't the new breed think out of the box?
    Is it our educational standards?
    Or just bone idle?
    No imagination also seem to be smashed into the young one's today, they never play outside, climb trees, be pirates, tell stories, or anything that needs a fertile brain. The kids need to be nurtured no muted. My nephew comes over often, I tried to teach him silly fun things but is concentration goes walk about after 10mins and then he want his TV Game thing on, that it then lost to the pixels of space and vacuum.

His bike had a flat tyre, mm simple fix but his parents 18yrs younger than I, told him he needed a new bike, eh come on parents wake up learn and teach or join the world or cabbages.

Sorry I an getting carried away again, men in white coats come latter, in there big yellow taxi.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

I see I'm not the only one that's really noticed the dumbdown.

School used to be a place to get an education, and now it's a place to learn how to pass exams.
    Do you remember dropping potassium into water in chemistry? I do
    Do you remember using a bandsaw in the woodworking rooms? I do.
    What about climbing ropes up the the ceiling of the gymnasium?
    Going around assault courses (I hold my hands up and declare that I was a forces brat)?

They get wrapped up in cotton wool, and barred from doing the things we used to get up to when I was at school.
    Can't play conkers, can't climb trees, can't play football with a proper football, all because of the potential for injury (which is there but's it's low risk) and justified with that catch all for idiocy, health & safety.

Not knowing how to repair a bicycle tyre puncture is just gross stupidity, not on your nephew's part, but of his parents.
    But they have been subject to the great dumbdown too.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Paul.

It does seem that the value people put on possesions is based on how much they paid for it at the time and how fashionable it is at the time. Once seen as surplanted the attached value drops. To me an expensive purchase is done becuase it is something you will own for a long time and can have pride of ownership, regardless of it’s age.

Beats headphones is a good example. Expensive and regarded as being pretty crap by all compared to other headphones in the same price range but they became fashionable and popular, so people bought them anyway knowing full well they were a ripoff.
    ~Paul~

I'm Grant.

kids need to own what their peers have, or they often get bullied alas. its a difficult line for many parents. when i was young, no one really had much as kids, and no fancy clothing names etc. so no peer pressure.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

We used to bully the kids who had the fancy clothes.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    I see I'm not the only one that's really noticed the dumbdown.

School used to be a place to get an education, and now it's a place to learn how to pass exams.
    Do you remember dropping potassium into water in chemistry? I do
    Do you remember using a bandsaw in the woodworking rooms? I do.
    What about climbing ropes up the the ceiling of the gymnasium?
    Going around assault courses (I hold my hands up and declare that I was a forces brat)?

They get wrapped up in cotton wool, and barred from doing the things we used to get up to when I was at school.
    Can't play conkers, can't climb trees, can't play football with a proper football, all because of the potential for injury (which is there but's it's low risk) and justified with that catch all for idiocy, health & safety.

Not knowing how to repair a bicycle tyre puncture is just gross stupidity, not on your nephew's part, but of his parents.
    But they have been subject to the great dumbdown too.
    I was out walking my dog the other day, the walk included a nearby hill, that was to be used the next day for a school cross country. I couldn't believe it, there was a dozen or so workmen filling in the rabbit diggings and general holes in case a child should turn an ankle.

So different from my school cross country experiences where to cross the canal there was a plank, if you fell in....tough!
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    I was out walking my dog the other day, the walk included a nearby hill, that was to be used the next day for a school cross country. I couldn't believe it, there was a dozen or so workmen filling in the rabbit diggings and general holes in case a child should turn an ankle.

So different from my school cross country experiences where to cross the canal there was a plank, if you fell in....tough!
    Filling in the rabbit holes
    It's all part of the general dumbdown - wrap 'em in cotton wool and brainwash them the shit you want to make 'em believe.
    There's no room for common sense and life skills here!

Common sense should be renamed rare sense, coz there's no fecker appears to be using it any more
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    We used to bully the kids who had the fancy clothes.
    I used to bully everybody. Even the bullies!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast