+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Royd Abbot

I'm Simon.

Default Royd Abbot

I have a pair and love them probably not well placed in the room to get the best from them but I'm very pleased. They are in vgc but where missing the foam surround around the tweeter. I have looked at finding some with the Royd logo on just to complete them but not found any often wondered though are these surrounds there for a purpose other than looks.
    Thanks
    Simon

I'm Brian.

Royd closed down many years ago Simon . Not only are the speakers now quite rare , parts for them are like ' hen's teeth ' Probably your only options would be to make your own , or get someone to do it for you , or try something like this http://www.russandrews.com/focus-rings/
    Last edited by brian2957; 14-09-2018 at 15:36.
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Brian.

I'm referring to the original Royd Company Andrew which ceased trading a while back .

Yes , I think you're correct , they were for tweeter diffraction . Simple enough to make something suitable I would think .

Russ Andrews also sells diffraction rings for tweeters if you want something ready made .
    Regards
    Brian

I'm Neil.

My old Royd Sapphires didn't have the foam on, but my Sorcerers do (see my avatar pic). I don't think it'd be a world-breaking difference, but if you want to try, the foam is only a couple of mm thick.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Brian.

Also fitted to the Minstrels .
    Regards
    Brian

I'm Neil.

Default Royd Abbot

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    I thought Royd were taken over by someone else when Joe Akroyd retired.
    This is the website of the new owners:
    http://roydaudio.co.uk/

and this is the website dedicated to the old stuff:
    https://www.roydaudio.org/

Foam rings around tweeters have something to do with diffraction... or absorption... or something... not sure exactly. You could cut your own surround from self adhesive foam (or felt) - both available at Hobbycraft for about 50p.
    Unfortunately not, for lack of better words, someone took the Royd brand, made some speakers that look like Minstrels, and that’s it. Nothing to do with Royd’s real design and driver tweaking principles. Joe Ackroyd really was a very innovative man, sadly missed. I have never heard a pair of standmounts as good as a pair of RR3s with a big power amp up ‘em.
    Last edited by Yomanze; 14-09-2018 at 18:56.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Simon.

Thanks Brian , Andrew and Neil
    I'll give the Hobbycraft self adhesive fab foam route a go and see if any change I'm so impressed with them anyway it will be interesting. I'll keep a look out for some Original surrounds with Royd on but as you say hens teeth probably. The speakers are in great condition and the sticky remnants of the surrounds is still visible which possibly indicates they may have just fell off over time or just thought perhaps the tweeters had been replaced( never thought of that will have a check)
    All the best
    Simon

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy View Post
    Thanks Brian , Andrew and Neil
    I'll give the Hobbycraft self adhesive fab foam route a go and see if any change I'm so impressed with them anyway it will be interesting. I'll keep a look out for some Original surrounds with Royd on but as you say hens teeth probably. The speakers are in great condition and the sticky remnants of the surrounds is still visible which possibly indicates they may have just fell off over time or just thought perhaps the tweeters had been replaced( never thought of that will have a check)
    All the best
    Simon
    The Abbots are a fan favourite. Get sited apart as wide as possible.

+ Reply to Thread