+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: born again shindo monbrison

I'm Phil.

Default born again shindo monbrison

good to see this pre amp has come back and wouldn`t it be good to hear ?

from the review

Fast forward to 2017, and the appearance on Shindo Laboratory's website of something entirely new: a reborn Monbrison preamplifier ($12,500), the company's first product designed not by Ken Shindo but by Takashi Shindo.

Interestingly and somewhat confusingly, the new Monbrison is intended not as a replacement for the old Monbrison—a line-plus-phono preamplifier with separate, switchable moving-magnet and moving-coil inputs—but for the above-mentioned Shindo Masseto, which was, during its lifetime, the third-least-expensive preamp in a six-model line. In a broad sense, the Masseto was a Monbrison with output transformers, intended to lower the preamp's output impedance from 5000 to 600 ohms. (It's my understanding that, although the new Monbrison is the new Masseto in all but name, that name was chosen because it has been in use at Shindo Laboratory for far longer.) The new model's price is $2500 more than the last Monbrison, and $1000 less than that of the last Masseto—the latter a point to which I'll return.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...n-preamplifier
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    good to see this pre amp has come back and wouldn`t it be good to hear ?

from the review

Fast forward to 2017, and the appearance on Shindo Laboratory's website of something entirely new: a reborn Monbrison preamplifier ($12,500), the company's first product designed not by Ken Shindo but by Takashi Shindo.

Interestingly and somewhat confusingly, the new Monbrison is intended not as a replacement for the old Monbrison—a line-plus-phono preamplifier with separate, switchable moving-magnet and moving-coil inputs—but for the above-mentioned Shindo Masseto, which was, during its lifetime, the third-least-expensive preamp in a six-model line. In a broad sense, the Masseto was a Monbrison with output transformers, intended to lower the preamp's output impedance from 5000 to 600 ohms. (It's my understanding that, although the new Monbrison is the new Masseto in all but name, that name was chosen because it has been in use at Shindo Laboratory for far longer.) The new model's price is $2500 more than the last Monbrison, and $1000 less than that of the last Masseto—the latter a point to which I'll return.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...n-preamplifier
    Can't say I was over-impressed by the old Monbrisson ... lovely tonally but hopeless in handling 3D space, it was like listening to music down a tunnel, a narrow one at that.

I'm gordan.

depending on use - IMHO it was meant to be used in a shindo surrounding otherwise you would need to experiment to death to find a matching power amp. 5k output impedance is not easy to deal with. i heard it in a relatively small system with cortese amp and it was fine combo.

actually if there was a brand whose products were tuned to work with each other it was shindo (i almost wrote naim haha)
    Gordan.
    Speakers: Oris Swing MkII
    Amps: Thomas Mayer 300b/ Hiraga La Maison de L'Audiophile 20
    Preamp: Silver AVC by eng. Ferenc Lazar
    Phono Preamp: Shishido LCR by Solaja Audio
    Decks: Garrard 301 Martin Bastin reworked/plinthed with Fidelity Research FR64fx
    Garrard 401 in eng Ferenc Lazar solid wenge plinth with SME 3012/2
    Cartridges: SPU Spirit/ Koetsu Black revisited by eng. Salai/ Miyajima Shilabe
    Step Up Transformers: Tango MCT 999/ Ortofon T-5000/ Lumiere SUT
    Digital: Shigaclone by eng. Ferenc Lazar with Lampizator Amber II
    Wires: of sufficient length

I'm Nari.

I owned three Monbrison preamps and the Petrus and were hit and miss, I had and early Monbrison and sounded flat and boring I them bought another same version two years later sounded fantastic I then bought the later version with the clear window and it was aweful very boring flat with a flaby bass rubbish, later on I got a Petrus is was amazing just stunning one of the bits of hifi i wish i could have kept. I also owned a shindo 301 kept the cartridge and sold the deck it was a nice bit of kit to much money for a 301.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm Mark.

Had a few Shindo pre’s, all used with a Cortese F2a power amp. Agree, hit and miss. Aurieges I enjoyed, Monbrison not so much. Vosne - Romanee, wonderful. There’s been a lot of ‘water under the bridge’ since then. Although I love my Audio Note system, I do regret selling the Shindo gear.
    Last edited by Sixty2; 14-09-2018 at 21:30.

I'm Nari.

Quote Originally Posted by Sixty2 View Post
    Had a few Shindo pre’s, all used with a Cortese F2a power amp. Agree, hit and miss. Aurieges I enjoyed, Monbrisson not so much. Vosne - Romanee, wonderful. There’s been a lot of ‘water under the bridge’ since then. Although I love my Audio Note system, I do regret selling the Shindo gear.
    I remember when you were advertising some of the bits for sale on Hifi for sale.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Sixty2 View Post
    Had a few Shindo pre’s, all used with a Cortese F2a power amp. Agree, hit and miss. Aurieges I enjoyed, Monbrisson not so much. Vosne - Romanee, wonderful. There’s been a lot of ‘water under the bridge’ since then. Although I love my Audio Note system, I do regret selling the Shindo gear.
    i remember that shindo power amp you had , awesome thing with those LV horns

Eric Bibb

I'm Nari.

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    i remember that shindo power amp you had , awesome thing with those LV horns
    If I remember rightly mark was making some Horns cant remember the name

I'm Mark.

Ah, I’d almost forgotten about the doomed horn project - seems like a long time ago!! I’d quite like to revisit Shindo though, but the price is pretty stratospheric. Problems importing with ROHS regulations. Anyone know if there is a UK importer. Phil, I remember you coming round to listen to The Cortese with a Silver wired MFA Pre amp, if I’m not mistaken?

I'm Phil.

thats the one mark , started me off on buying mfa amps . and the horns were lovington horns

like these

http://www.emporiumhifi.com/pre-owne...ostex-drivers/

Eric Bibb

+ Reply to Thread