+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New cartridge advice - Ortofon 2M bronze

I'm richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Emm, Goldring 1042 looking like the one, Juno records have them cheap - £250, anybody any experience of them - Juno? Would hate to buy a so called new cart only for it to be seconds or something. Richer sounds have them for £275, seems reasonable.
    I've brought vinyl and a Project VCS this year at the cheapest price. Communication and delivery times were great and the probly I had with the project brush was speedily fixed with a replacement from their own stock. So ended up impressed with their service. Best regards Richard

I'm Mike.

Due to temporary unemployment been doing a fair bit of listening this past week. Been listening through new-to-me Slee Era V, changed the 2m blue for an old DL 110 and my system is sounding pretty sweet. Think the Denon is a warmer cart than the 2m, and the Era v is I think responsible for a better sound as well, can't be sure till I go back to the Nak for a few days, but either way quite happy with it now. Can anyone tell me how do you know is a cart is worn? This denon is over a year old with 2-3 hours use everyday.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm jamie.

i think bad treble/distortion is a sign.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Geoff.

Been listening through new-to-me Slee Era V
    Great little unit the ERA Gold V.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    i think bad treble/distortion is a sign.
    That could be it then, hate to thow away a good though, suppose just buy a new one and compare. Or just stick this one on ebay as 'low hours' use and get £70 for it
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Great little unit the ERA Gold V.
    Yeh< I swear its beating the Nak. Though expert opinion is the Nak is the more sophisticated stage?

I'm Graham.

I used a jelco 750 on a 401 and found the jelco needed a cart with a bit of energy to avoid sounding dull. I tried and rejected several carts such as gold ring 1042, denon 103R, 103DL all found to be a bit flat when playing rock and pop. Carts which worked well included Audio Note IQ2, AT 150mlx (microline.) The cart I use now, the AT 150SA (shibata) should also sound good on this arm though compliance is a touch high. As mentioned above, the cheaper 540 would be worth a look.

I'm Mike.

Think I'll go for the Nagaoka MP-200, it costs around £350 in UK, but £250 from Japan! Anyone buy carts direct from Japan? Suppose I'll get hit with customs ?

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by graham67 View Post
    I used a jelco 750 on a 401 and found the jelco needed a cart with a bit of energy to avoid sounding dull. I tried and rejected several carts such as gold ring 1042, denon 103R, 103DL all found to be a bit flat when playing rock and pop. Carts which worked well included Audio Note IQ2, AT 150mlx (microline.) The cart I use now, the AT 150SA (shibata) should also sound good on this arm though compliance is a touch high. As mentioned above, the cheaper 540 would be worth a look.
    That might be your Garrard, aren't idlers supposed to be warmer sounding ? They might need a more analytical cart.

I'm Graham.

That might be your Garrard, aren't idlers supposed to be warmer sounding ? They might need a more analytical cart.
    Hi mike, that's a fair enough comment, and without knowing how your deck sounds my findings may not be relevant ��

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast