+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New to hi-fi.. what to buy?

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by nunogrl View Post
    hifi_dave:
    Hi went to richer sounds at London and they advise me to get the Yamaha R-N303D
    on the manual is advised to not connect speakers lower than 8 ohm of impedance, and there's where I got confused about this choice...

thanks for your help
    No problem with the Wharfedales if you are just using a stereo pair. If you want to use two pairs (4) speakers at the same time, you might need to consider something else.

I'm Geoff.

By the way. If you are using a stereo source, having four speakers is a waste of time and may cock up the imaging.

As has been indicated, four 8 ohm speakers connected in parallel will present a 4 ohm load to each of two channels.

Last edited by walpurgis; 13-09-2018 at 18:47.

I'm Lawrence.

I'd start again with this with some second hand gear. Surround sound can work well with 4 or 5 Speakers. You can get older amps for £50-80 now with DTS and Dolby Surround II music mode which can be quite nice (eg Denon). You want the same 4 speakers front and back (or smaller versions at the back) and a matching centre speaker (eg wharfedale diamonds 8 or 9). There's no reason this shouldn't set you back more than £250-300 in total if you keep an eye out for bargains and you live in an urban area or are prepared to travel.

Where do you live I'll do a quick search for you?

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by nunogrl View Post
    For me would be really important to get the definitive amplifier than something to just test and later make an upgrade beacause my choice doesn't suit the needs.

I like the network stereo system from yamaha - which has all the streaming capabilities (bluetooth, spotify, DAB, radio FM, etc), unfortunately doesn't accept speakers with an impedance lower than 8 ohm.
    Oh dear, the definitive amplifier? If your just beginning that may be some way off!
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm inactive.

Personally, if you're after a similar wrap around experience you get in a car I don't know why you don't just cut to the chase and buy a proper AV amp with multi-speaker capabilities rather than pratting about and potentially overloading a stereo amp. Who cares if you don't use the TV inputs, just ignore the inputs you don't use

This looks like a very capable beast and has plenty of options to at least be capable for the present and immediate tech future:

Denon AVRX2400 - £299

https://www.richersounds.com/denon-avrx2400-blk.html

If you have a Richer Sounds nearby you could pop in and give it a spin taking your favourite CDs

I'm Michael.

I have 2 Denon 350se amps both with tannoy mercury V1 speakers in lounge and bedroom sounds very good indeed

I'm Mike.

EBAY is your friend, take some advice from previous posts, put together a wish list, then take a look on ebay and see if you can pick up a bargain

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm nigel.

EBAY is most certainly NOT your friend.
    Compare Buy It Now prices to current bids to see the ripoff nature of most sellers on even the most mediocre of kit.

IMHO the real bargains are to be found on Facebook Market....

I'm Nuno.

Exclamation

Hello all!

I went to a store again, this time the superfi at Camden Town, London https://www.superfi.co.uk/ .
    I confess that once again I got more frustration for the people pushing to make the buy instead of clarifying me.

I explained what I wanted to achieve and about the speakers I got in second hand (which I had no idea if they were working or not).
    The clerk tried to push me to buy some media player (800£) and on the amplifier he tried to convince me to get one Rotel brand (700+ £) saying that this would be my best choice.

I found this really tiring, as I never heard about the brand and he wasn't providing any useful information about the brand.

Eventually I asked if he had the Denon 720AE in stock which he did.
    Was a model that was used at the store on the expositor, it has some scratches on the side and the remote.
    I took it anyway with a discount of 8£ (I've paid 170£ instead of 178 £ ) I only got it because I was really frustrated about this, I could get this one pristine for 178£ at Amazon, but would have to wait a few more days, so I would only be able to mount the system on the next weekend.
    After packing the amplifier, they start showing me some cables for my second hand and maybe faulty speakers.
    They presented me 2 kinds of cables, one for 3£/ meter and another per 10£/meter. They then propose me to get some gold plated bananas 5£/each and for last they asked me if I wanted to buy a new pair of speakers..
    I bought a 3 meter gold plated stereo 25mm to RCA for 22 £ (QED brand) - not sure if it was a good investment...

Total: 170 + 22.95 = 192.95 £

I don't know what to expect from this, but this is the kind of experience make me run away from this stores. I feel I get more help reading from amazon reviews than on this stores.
    I don't feel clarified at all (and that's the main point why I decided to spend some time on this forum).

I came home, put some batteries on the well used remote and connected the speakers. Now I watch the whole set and everything is second hand
    I connected the amp to a bluetooth receiver and played some music from my laptop and the speakers sound great!
    Then I found some FLAC sample files online and put them to play through bluetooth again, and at this point the sound really impressed me!

I appreciate all your help on this! I definitely going to keep you posted on my next aventures on my set, for now I leave you a picture:

Soon I'll post a new topic on where to place my speakes so I can get the immersive sound I'm looking for

Thank you!!!

I'm Geoff.

Well you're off to a start. Stick with it and keep asking us questions.

Your speakers are too close together by the way and probably not best on the same shelf as the rest of the equipment.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast