+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to hi-fi.. what to buy?

I'm Nuno.

Question New to hi-fi.. what to buy?

Hello all

I've been checking on some stores what's the best solution for me...
    I don't have a TV set, or DVD or blu-ray or play games.
    I do have a computer at home with a 27 inch screen, and I often watch netflix contents, youtube or play some mp3.

Since all my audio content is only stereo, I'm a bit apprehensive about what amplifier to get.
    I used to drive a lot, and I miss the immersive feeling you have in a car with several speakers so I would like to achieve the same.

I went to a store and asked for advise and they suggested me to be away of the the all surround systems as those are meant mostly for multichannel content and on playing stereo content, most of the speakers would only introduce noise.
    Said that, the solution presented do me was the Yamaha R-N303D - which I'm almost convinced is my best choice.
    Has 4 channels and is mostly focused on streaming media. As far as I understood, it relies too much on a app... on the first sight I can't find fader or balance buttons on the panel.

The day after I left the store I found a deal for Denton 2 speakers on my area. I saw some reviews and bought them. I was super excited as I got my first element of my set.
    I've been googling around and found that this speaker have an impedance of 6 ohms. The amplifier manual is clear that I shouldn't connect speakers with an impedance lower than 8 ohms. I accept that ... but makes me wondering, because I can that is possible to adjust some amplifiers to lower impedance speakers.

My studio is not square shaped, is more in shape of a cross.. the larger dimensions for each side are 6m x 8m respectively, so I would definitely like to have more than one set of speakers.

What amplifier would you recommend to add to my Denton 2 (6 ohm) speakers?
    (I have no idea about the sound of the speakers, I bought them as they are, and didn't had the chance to try them)

Or forget about the Denton and get another thing? What kind of specs should I be looking for? Looking for "4 channel amplifier" most of the times I found solutions to put speakers in multilple rooms with different content per room - that's is not what I'm looking for.

Thanks for your time

PS: I believe I've posted in the wrong section. I would like to kindly ask one of the moderators to move this to the appropriate section. Thanks
    Last edited by nunogrl; 13-09-2018 at 10:19. Reason: PS added

I'm Geoff.

Moved from Welcome area.

I'm Geoff.

If you want a very capable bargain of a stereo amp and don't mind second hand, take a look at the Denon PMA-350SE. It'll drive any speakers you are likely to use and sound extremely good doing so. Prices vary between £60 and £100, there are some mint examples about. If you're lucky you may find one with the optional phono stage (if you need one).

Surround sound just means more speakers, not necessarily better sound. The best Hi-Fi's tend to be stereo only with just two speakers. It's a personal choice though.

I'm Nuno.

Thanks for the help!

Right now I'll use what I have, so only 2 speakers, but my intention would be to add more.

Would you say that the
    Denon PMA720AE Integrated Amplifier
    would be aligned with that one you suggested?

Denon PMA-350SE Denon PMA-720AE
    Power Output
    50W into 8Ω (stereo)
    Frequency Response
    20Hz to 20kHz
    Distortion
    0.05%
    Speaker Impedance
    4 to 16Ω
    Input Sensitivity
    150mV (line)
    Signal to Noise Ratio
    98dB (line)
    Line Output
    150mV (line)
    Accessories
    optional RC-819 remote control
    Dimensions
    434 x 120 x 286 mm
    Weight
    6.2 kg
    Power Output
    50W into 8Ω (stereo)
    Frequency Response
    20Hz to 20kHz
    Distortion
    0.07%
    Speaker Impedance
    4 to 16Ω
    Input Sensitivity
    2.5mV (mm), 120mV (line)
    Signal to Noise Ratio
    86dB (mm), 107dB (line)
    Line Output
    150mV (line)
    Dimensions
    434 x 308 x 121 mm
    Weight
    7.1 kg
    Year

I'm Bob.

I think you need to think basics.

The point of Hi-Fi is to produce high quality sound, and even basic (Proper) hi-fi gear will do that, but the best way to look at it is to split the process into three distinct areas.

Source: Although I would normally put the speakers as top priority, even the best speakers and amplifier will not make a bad source signal good, for example I use an Xbox One X as my source (CD, DVD, Blu Ray, file player) I can pop in a CD, play .FLAC files (Higher res than MP3) and they sound great, but the Spotify app on the Xbox One doesn't have a setting to play high res files, so it sounds crap when played through my Pioneer receiver and Tannoy Cheviot speakers (It sounded just as crap through my Quad 33/405 combination). It is acceptable through the TV speakers for casual listening, but not if you want true hi-fi, it is like going back in time to the early cassette decks compared to a quality turntable with a good vinyl recording.

And as mentioned, stereo is two channel, playing stereo on multiple speakers just muddies the point of it, I have a receiver with 5.1 so capable of running two front, two rear and a centre speaker along with a sub woofer, but I just set it to stereo output and only have two speakers as in my opinion this is the best way to listen to stereo music. I intend to "upgrade" this receiver with a decent stereo amp soon (When I have some pennies and can finally make up my mind what one I want).

So having a good source is vital, a PC can do this but have a look at using .FLAC files compared to MP3 as some of the lower res MP3 files aren't up to Hi-Fi standard, no point spending money on good gear if the recordings are low res.

Amplification/other stuff, cables etc: Even budget modern amplifiers will sound OK, this wasn't always the case for example in the sixties or seventies, some budget amps were really crap (My first Amstrad as an example, the volume etc has sliders and made so much noise). Some people suggest spending lots on cables, I still use basic cables, I have listened to systems with expensive ones, I have tried some, but you don't "Need" them (I accept others disagree with this) especially if the source is suspect to start with.

Speakers/Room/Spacing etc: This is important, I would normally set up my speakers with the tweeters as near to head height as possible when you are sitting in your fav listening position, with the speakers set at about 35% either side of your chair (You can find the proper angle with diagrams online), if your speakers are large with good bass response (Like my Cheviots) you don't need to place them that near a back wall or corner, smaller bookshelf speakers sometimes need a little bit of help by going nearer to a wall or corner.

I have played with multi channel setups, but to me stereo is still the best way to listen to music and sorry to say for most multi channel films as well.
    System a mixture of old and new.

Speakers Tannoy Cheviot, Amp Pioneer receiver but looking for something new, Source Xbox One X (For everything) via a Panasonic 65inch 4k HDR TV.

I'm Nuno.

Thanks for the feedback!!! Really valuable information, RothwellAudio and bobvfr !

Right now I'm divided between these three:

2 speakers output:
    - Denon 520 Series Integrated Amplifier £179.00 - Argos

4 speakers output
    - Denon PMA720AE Integrated Amplifier - Black 179£ - Amazon
    - Pioneer A-10-K 50W Stereo Amplifier - Black 149£ - Amazon

Trully annoys me to have the Denton speakers in a box and being listening right now to something equivalent to laptop speakers

I'm Dave.

All three of those amps are stereo, even though two you have listed as having 4 speakers output.

Do you have a Hi-Fi shop near you ? As they should be able to guide you rather than just buying blind on Amazon or Argos.

I'm Nuno.

For me would be really important to get the definitive amplifier than something to just test and later make an upgrade beacause my choice doesn't suit the needs.

I like the network stereo system from yamaha - which has all the streaming capabilities (bluetooth, spotify, DAB, radio FM, etc), unfortunately doesn't accept speakers with an impedance lower than 8 ohm.

I'm Nuno.

hifi_dave:
    Hi went to richer sounds at London and they advise me to get the Yamaha R-N303D
    on the manual is advised to not connect speakers lower than 8 ohm of impedance, and there's where I got confused about this choice...

thanks for your help

I'm Grant.

is there a reason why you want more than 2 speakers? most amps that can take 4 speakers, you are just puting 2 speakers into 1 channel, and this will change the ohmage of them dramatically.. ie if 2 speakers are 4 ohm, them it will be seen as 2 ohms. as they will probably be connected in parallel. mix the ohmage and it will be different again. if the are connected in series then 2 8ohm speakers would end up being 16ohm load. . only good reason might be if you have 2 zones to send music then keep speakers at 8.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast