+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New phonostage - which to go for?

I'm Philip.

Default New phonostage - which to go for?

Hi,

I’m looking for a phono stage, new or used, up to £200.

Any reccomendations?

Thanks

I'm Andy.

MM, MC or both?

I'm Philip.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    MM, MC or both?
    Mm needed.

I'm Philip.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    MM, MC or both?
    Mm needed.

I'm Phil.

I can personally recommend this - you can normally pick them up for less than £200 used...fantastic piece of gear:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Graham-Sl...0AAOSw-cFbknYS

I'm Grant.

Schiit mani is good value if wanting mm. Does mc too but it's mm is a good one for money. Not sure what they cost new now but well under budget
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Brook.

You might be lucky & find a Kinshaw Perception SA two box phono stage for £200. Solid state, MM & MC, sounds bloody lovely, is very adaptable, more like a £500 plus stage & gets very close to more expensive stuff, I recently sold my very expensive Art Audio Vinyl One & the replacement was a choice between the Kinshaw or a Welborne Labs MM & a pair of Partridge SUT's, which was three times the price. I went with the Welborne but it wasn't three times better by any stretch, just suited my valve based system more I felt.

I'm steve.

Default New phonostage - which to go for?

I’ve owned both the Schiit Mani and the Graham Slee Gramamp 2, both are very good phono stages, of the two the Mani was definitely superior, I would still have the Mani now if I’d stayed with MM, only downside to the Mani is on Moving coil because load impedance is too low (47ohms) to be a good match for most cartridges, making them sound dull.
    I currently have a Cambridge CP2 which works equally well on MM and MC and I rate it as good as the Mani and GA2 and it’s considerably cheaper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

The Mani can hum with some decks and not sure if it's due to location or hum-loops (rega arms in some cases but not others for some reason).

Apologies for seeming to flog a dead horse again, but the Rega Fono seems good for MM types if the OP wants to buy new.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Chris.

Edwards Audio Apprentice MM

Well under budget and I still have mine (after 10 years) for back-up duties. Has only been superseded by stages 5 fold of its price.

Also the most unassuming little package.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast