+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Modest Wish List . . .

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Opti-cal View Post
    Macca - I've yet to hear a Paradise offering that doesn't blow most offerings multiples of its price clean out the water. Do you know if their latest model is of the same ilk?

I have a Mark Travis phono stage for those particular duties as well as my EAR, but the love for the paradise stage is difficult to ignore!
    I don't know, it's a DIY build as you know. Simon SQ is the man to talk to. Never heard your Mark Travis so for all I know it's just as good.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Russell.

I own the Sumiko Blue Point Special III, I bought it brand new for a sizable discount. While I’ve not a lot of experience with other cartridges, I personally love the way it sounds in my system. A huge jump up from my previous Grado Gold. In the past I had a Ortofon 20M, I think it was? That was 30 some years back so I won’t swear that was the correct designation. And a Denon 110. So no surprise that the Sumiko is a huge step up from these others.

After I purchased it, second hand but never used, I mounted it on my VPI Scout with stock VPI tonearm, and into my Phonomena two box phono preamp. Previously, I wasn’t all that impressed with my Musical Surroundings, Phonomena, I figured it will do for now, until I can do better. But once I installed the new Sumiko I was totally impressed with it!

I find it most compelling, records have that pace and rhythm, which may have a lot to do with the table. But I find that once I start spinning Records one leads to another, and another. It has that character that pulls me in, makes me want more! I’m sure there are a hundred cartridges that sound better, but for the money, it’s a very accomplished cartridge, and I do not have that feeling of dreaming of something different. Not even a new phono preamp, since I got this cart. I probably will move into higher territory one of these days, but a new cart is not on my short list.

Russell

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    I was totally impressed with it!

I find it most compelling, records have that pace and rhythm, which may have a lot to do with the table. But I find that once I start spinning Records one leads to another, and another. It has that character that pulls me in, makes me want more! I’m sure there are a hundred cartridges that sound better, but for the money, it’s a very accomplished cartridge, and I do not have that feeling of dreaming of something different. Not even a new phono preamp, since I got this cart. I probably will move into higher territory one of these days, but a new cart is not on my short list.

Russell
    Superb stuff, a glowing endorsement indeed.

I know what you mean about a cart/deck actually pulling you in to play more records. Its an almost physical magnetic energy, a harmony with the ergonomics of the deck when everything is just so right. When the timing is right the enjoyment factor goes through the roof.

Love that Russell, that's why we do this!

I'm Russell.

I worked hard to get my vinyl system to have this quality. Years ago I had a system that was the same, I’d be up until 3am on a work night because I started playing Records and couldn’t stop!

I read all that tripe in magazines about how a great stereo must sound like real life, accuracy above all else, etc. you know. But after that philosophy lead me down the garden path for a number of years, I’ve come to the realization that no two stereos sound anything alike, even though their respective owners claim they are ultimately accurate. So I built this stereo to play what I want to hear! And I find that a system that compels you to keep listening is spot on! That is the telling quality of a good system.

Russell

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12