+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Modest Wish List . . .

I'm Chris.

Default A Modest Wish List . . .

Hi everyone, really enjoying reading around the forums.

Love the willingness to answer with experiences and opinions. Especially when clashes of opinions bring new perspectives to the table!

Anyway, I have planned out a list of the bits I want to try over the coming months and if anyone has anything to say about them please do!!

Alternatives welcomed.

- Sumiko Blue Point Special EVO III (High Output or Low Output with SUT) / Hana EL HOMC

- Marantz M7 (clone) Tube Preamp with 6Z4/12AX7B tubes

- Lab12 Mighty Single Ended EL34 power amp

- Sophia Electric Carbon Plate Princess 300B / Gold Lion PX300B / EH 300B Gold Pin tubes

Current equipment that the above will be used/swapped with:

Linn LP12 - Ittok LV2
    EAR 834P phono stage
    Yaqin MC300c amplifier (highly modified)
    Musical Paradise MP-D1 DAC (modified) - Fed by Pioneer N-30
    Quad ESL 57's/Loth X BS1's

Any suggestions at all for gear also appreciated. My tendencies are towards late night listening at modest volumes to well recorded uncompressed music. I'll listen to anything that deserves attention for its production/recording or just sheer musicality and content!

My goal is to listen to as much of my favourite music on as much different gear as possible as I find it fascinating how radically different approaches to sound reproduction change what you hear.

Cheers,

Chris

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Opti-cal View Post
    My goal is to listen to as much of my favourite music on as much different gear as possible as I find it fascinating how radically different approaches to sound reproduction change what you hear.

Cheers,

Chris
    I agree, It's amazing how different the same recording can sound on different set-ups. And how different people's tastes are in how they want the music presented.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm paul.

Sophia carbon plates are probably my favourite 300B, closely followed by emission labs.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Chris.

Yes, I guess people have different expectations from this little disease we all have . . .

Some are after a completely neutral response from their equipment or pin sharp imaging putting them in row C (seat 26) in the audience of a live recording.

I've wasted time (and money) chasing what I deem to be the most important thing to me at the time.

I bet we all go through this stage in the hifi journey . . . . first time I heard a proper soundstage I searched for "speakers with best soundstage" or "best speakers for detail" etc.

Like most I've found there is no definitive answer to these questions without taking into account other important factors and personal preferences. Not least the rest of your system and listening environment.

Luckily I've found my Quads to provide a mix of my personal favorite elements of what a speaker should be. I've heard better soundstaging, imaging and depth but they are certainly all there in more than adequate amounts for me.

I've still never heard vocals (especially female) or speed delivered with the toe-tapping timing ability of them. Nothing comes close, so they will always be my reference regardless of their shortcomings, which they do have.

I will add that I'd love some suggestions for similar "game changing" hifi in this thread (or possibly a new thread).

Equipment that had the same jaw-hitting-the floor effect that the Quads had (and still do on an almost daily basis) on me.

Cheers

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    Sophia carbon plates are probably my favourite 300B, closely followed by emission labs.
    Indeed, somewhat indulgent considering some of the partnering equipment. But sometimes you've just gotta find out what all the fuss is about!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Apart from the Quads, I have only heard one of the items you list: The Sumiko 'Blue Point Special'. This was some time back and I can't remember if it was the 'Evo' or not. But sadly I have to say I was dissappointed. Whilst there was nothing obviously wrong with its performance regarding tracking abilities, frequency response, soundstaging and tonal balance - it just didn't involve me in the music; quite often I found myself not really paying full attention to what I was listening to.

Unfortunately, despite the owner (the cartidge was on loan) remarking that the cartridge sounded better in my system than in his, he had to agree with my observation. In general I've not been impresssed with high-output MC cartridges.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Opti-cal View Post
    I will add that I'd love some suggestions for similar "game changing" hifi in this thread (or possibly a new thread).

Equipment that had the same jaw-hitting-the floor effect that the Quads had (and still do on an almost daily basis) on me.

Cheers
    A couple of things I've heard in the past few years that fit that description for me: the Paradise Phono stage, and JBL 4365 speakers.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Brook.

I too have only experience of one item on your list, again the Sumiko BPS Evo III, but unlike Barry I rather liked it. I do have to qualify that by saying I swapped it in & out of my system quite a few times & always got the impression my system, or rather my room at the time, wasn't doing it any favours, as back then we had no carpets, proper furniture or curtains & soft furnishings. Most would struggle in that environment but I found using a Goldring 1042 brought me nearer the sound I was after.
    It tracked very well & looked quite sexy too, bags of detail & I will definitely try one again soon, so it must have been doing something right.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    A couple of things I've heard in the past few years that fit that description for me: the Paradise Phono stage, and JBL 4365 speakers.
    Macca - I've yet to hear a Paradise offering that doesn't blow most offerings multiples of its price clean out the water. Do you know if their latest model is of the same ilk?

I have a Mark Travis phono stage for those particular duties as well as my EAR, but the love for the paradise stage is difficult to ignore!

I'm Chris.

Thanks for the feedback on the Sumiko and other suggestions guys.

I think the latest "Evo III" is quite a step forward from the I and II variants but from your description Barry it sounds like it just wasn't for you. I suppose cartridges are even more system dependent than most equipment given all the tonearm/phono-stage/plinth combinations possible.

The Goldring looks an interesting option. There is something wholesome about its vintage appearance that really appeals to me too.

I would love to get my Benz Micro Ace back but foolishly I sold it on a turntable for a silly price. I just can't quite justify a £500+ cartridge when I've got as many hi-fi related projects going on. I'm always open to throwing caution to the wind and blowing more on an ear-opening bit of kit though.

I still remember the first time I dropped the Ace on "Son Of A Preacher Man" - tip wasn't broken in and amp was cold, and it still sounded awesome . . .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast