+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: State Pension rant

I'm Steve.

I expect (health permitting) to be working well into my seventies as my pension will be so pitiful, and I'm ok with that - I will do less hours (hopefully I can cherry pict the better/easier jobs).

I'm not worried about keeping younger people out of a job as I will hopefully be able to train up someone who can eventually take on my customers, although going on past experience, having to get out of bed in the mornings will always be a sticking point with them. No way round that!
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I expect (health permitting) to be working well into my seventies as my pension will be so pitiful, and I'm ok with that...
    Sad days though, bro, when instead you should be putting your feet up (inside those fur-lined slippers, secured with velcro straps, the old duffers wear, lol), sucking on a Werther's Original, whilst playing with your grandkids (if you have/will have any by then)....

If successive governments, for years, hadn't repeatedly neglected to put into place a proper infrastructure for looking after hard-working people in their old age, who've more than contributed their bit to society, things could've been rather different!

Me? I reaslised, around the age of 26, that if I wanted to enjoy life when I retired, I had to do something about it myself - and I did. But I was lucky it worked out, although I suppose, to an extent, you make your own luck in life.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Grant.

nowt wrong with werthers
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Sad days though, bro, when instead you should be putting your feet up (inside those fur-lined slippers, secured with velcro straps, the old duffers wear, lol), sucking on a Werther's Original, whilst playing with your grandkids (if you have/will have any by then)....

If successive governments, for years, hadn't repeatedly neglected to put into place a proper infrastructure for looking after hard-working people in their old age, who've more than contributed their bit to society, things could've been rather different!

Me? I reaslised, around the age of 26, that if I wanted to enjoy life when I retired, I had to do something about it myself - and I did. But I was lucky it worked out, although I suppose, to an extent, you make your own luck in life.

Marco.
    I was 26 when I got married, my mortgage was only a few months old, my first daughter 2 years away, second daughter 4 years off. Missus went part time so we could be around for them more, so we never had much income, and certainly not enough left over to chuck at a pension scheme - all our money was tied up in the here and now.

30 odd years later, I still don't have much money, but I do have my health (long may it continue), and I have an 11 year old grandson and my younger daughter who's fiancé hails from Tuscany, is expecting her first child in April.

Cash poor, but pretty well off in other ways!

And I'm not waiting for retirement to enjoy my slippers and Werthers, got 'em already.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Martin.

Yes the rub is that I never felt I had enough left over to start a pension scheme when I was younger and many people dont. An insurance salesman used to hassle me but pension age seemed so far off

I later worked in a department handling pension complaints because many people had been mis sold pensions WELL TOTALLY CONNED OR DEFRAUDED ACTUALLY. There was actually a strong case for fraud and these companies were shitting themselves and offering the full premium plus compensation back

You know people had been paying the man at the door and ended up with a tiny pension pot which was not worth a light in terms of an annuity.

So the pension industry can be a complete con unless people are fully aware and pay a large chunk in. Who has that large chunk of money when the cost of living is so high?

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    Who has that large chunk of money when the cost of living is so high?
    I read just yesterday that there are over 900,000 people with pension pots just under or already over the LTA of £1.03m. There an earning brackets where it's madness to not pay a chunk into a pension otherwise such people pay 60% tax.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm Mark.

When I retired annuity rates were abysmal and I suspect are no better these days. They just about divided your pot by 20-25 (how many years till you were 85!) for the annual amount so £30K got you little more than a Grand per annum. Much less if you wanted a spouse to have something after your demise. And if you didn't live long guess who got any surplus - the good old pension company. I was lucky enough to have enough guaranteed pension from occupational schemes to put my personal annuity pot into a SIPP and use draw-down over a few years to claw it all back in a number of annual cash lumps (minus tax of course).
    Last edited by Len Co; 02-10-2018 at 08:35.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617