+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: State Pension rant

I'm Martin.

IME a lot of people don't get the choice of whether to spend or save, their focus is on making what they have last until next pay day. I think I was about 32 before I actually had couple of quid left over at the end of the month. Then I was put on a bonus system where you could get up to £500 a quarter (about a grand in today's money). Since I could just about live on the standard salary I was able to save the bonus up for a couple of years. Then I blew the lot on a flash holiday and went back to square one
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Also if you get 2 pensions you can end up paying income tax on the total. My mother did. Ended up she wasn't that much better off and didn't qualify for other benefits

Not sure I agree with that as it wasn't a huge pension
    Just my State pension puts me into a taxable situation, surely that can't be fair.
    Spendorman

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    Just my State pension puts me into a taxable situation, surely that can't be fair.
    Something is definitely wrong there.

The maximum State Pension is £125.95 p.w. = £6,549 p.a.

The Tax Allowance for 2017/2018 is £11,850 p.a. which is way above the maximum SP anyone can get

If you are paying tax on just a State Pension you really need to query it with the tax office.

I'm brian.

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post

The Tax Allowance for 2017/2018 is £11,850 p.a. which is way above the maximum SP anyone can get

If you are paying tax on just a State Pension you really need to query it with the tax office.
    No, the max is around 160 but he should still be within the allowance.

I'm malcolm.

That's the basic max pension for men born before April 1951 and women before April 1953, for those younger there is the full new State Pension which is £164.35 per week max.
    Audiophile Tosher

I'm Alex.

I did not contract out, so my State pensions includes so called second State pension, I get approx. £230 per week, so £11,960 per year.

I was born in 1951, so get nearly all of the second state pension.
    Spendorman

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    I did not contract out, so my State pensions includes so called second pension, I get approx. £230 per week, so £11,960 per year.
    Ah - in that case it's perfectly fair as it's over the tax allowance, although the amount you will be due to pay will be negligible (only taxed for the £110 that's over the threshold)

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by willbewill View Post
    That's the basic max pension for men born before April 1951 ....for those younger there is the full new State Pension which is £164.35 per week max.
    Godamn - born too soon !!!!
    Last edited by mikmas; 11-09-2018 at 19:36.

I'm Steve.

I'd assumed from Alex's post that his state pension is in addition to some other income(s).

So my understanding is that if total income exceeds personal allowance of £11,850 pa by say, £1,000, that excess will be taxed at a rate of 20%, which would mean a tax bill of £200 pa.

If Alex is being taxed on his pension and that is his only income, perhaps HMRC don't have up to date information of his circumstances. If that is the case start rubbing your hands together Alex, a windfall will be heading your way! May not be enough for those fabulous Titan amps, but you never know
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Alex.

Ah - in that case it's perfectly fair as it's over the tax allowance, although the amount you will be due to pay will be negligible (only taxed for the £110 that's over the threshold)
    Yes, but I have a small company pension too, and all of that becomes taxable! Can't win, only two things in life that are certain, death and taxes!
    Spendorman

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast