+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Military aircraft classics

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    It was the DH110 development prototype. I knew somebody who'd been there and saw the whole thing happen right in front of him.
    Soddit ! I have have seen film footage. Really bad situation but didn't it change all future airshow rules and regs ?

I'm Shaun.

English Electric Lightning F3 Aerobatics RAF Binbrook by Shaun Haselden, on Flickr

I make no apologies for being a Lightning junkie.

I took this around 1980 whilst sat on the old WWII Battle HQ Bunker at RAF Binbrook on a scorching hot summer day. Shot in colour but looks shit hot in black and white.

Solo display pilot flying a practice in an F3 with reheat.

What fabulous days, what fabulous memories.

I'm Geoff.

Nice shot. I ought to dig out my old arshow piccies.

Saw a MIG 29 being hurled a round by a loony at Culdrose Air Day about four years ago, that was amazing, bloody noisy too!

They've not held a show since. That was the same day the beautiful Hawker Sea Fury crash landed, I'd been watching it display and left two minutes before the incident.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Shaun.

Oh Geoff I remember being at an airshow at the old RAF Kirmington base here in Lincolnshire when Spencer Flack's Sea Fury developed a fault. He decided to fly home in it accompanied by his Spitfire but had to make an emergency landing at RAF Waddington. He didn't make it crashing just short of the runway.

The Sea Fury must surely be the most iconic British aircraft ever ?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    The Sea Fury must surely be the most iconic British aircraft ever ?
    One of them. You have to include the Spitfire and Mosquito.

I'm also a huge fan of the American pre-jet fighters, like the Corsair and Grumman Bearcat and Tigercat. Strangely the Mustang doesn't do a lot for me these days, probably seen them too often.

The Tigercat has to be my all time favourite plane. It's performance is amazing. Turn the sound up and look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU95cp8-zK4
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Shaun.

My passion is for those 1950's/early 60's shiny silver jet fighters that paved the way to where we are now. Also those beautiful experimental aircraft from the USA such as the Douglas Stiletto.

I find the F100 highly desirable and would love to photograph a minter on the ground.

I'm Grant.

Probably the F15 eagle would be my "best military plane" badge.. fav tho is the Lightning..
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    My passion is for those 1950's/early 60's shiny silver jet fighters that paved the way to where we are now. Also those beautiful experimental aircraft from the USA such as the Douglas Stiletto.

I find the F100 highly desirable and would love to photograph a minter on the ground.
    Me too, always liked the Sabre don't know why it was plug ugly. Also the big post war silver bombers, Convair B36, Boeing B47, Northrop YB49 (flying wing) etc. The later B58 Hustler was nice too.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Me too, always liked the Sabre don't know why it was plug ugly. Also the big post war silver bombers, Convair B36, Boeing B47, Northrop YB49 (flying wing) etc. The later B58 Hustler was nice too.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk
    Oh yes Lawrence I had completely overlooked the B58. What an absolutely amazing aircraft again let down by a change in tactics. Also the Corsair the LTV A7 type. Bloody ugly bugger but I would love to catch one in a museum to photograph it. So many rare and classic aircraft.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Probably the F15 eagle would be my "best military plane" badge.. fav tho is the Lightning..
    Yes indeed. I remember seeing an early F15 in blue and orange at an airshow at RAF Binbrook during 1977. At that time it just took my breath away and was the only thing I had seen that could perform like a Lightning. These days we see them constantly at RAF Donna Nook about ten miles down the road.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast