+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Military aircraft classics

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    I haven't read it for about 35 years, did they take a professor around South America looking for things, his name was Donald so they called him duck?

Was just thinking about it and I recalled a scene where they found someone injured by poison arrows who'd been slowly dying and he gave them the treasure (a sacred figure or something) and said take it, it's no use to me any more. Must have had an effect on me at the time to remember all these years later , I was about 11 or 12.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk
    I read it at about the same age in late 1950's. I found a brief synopsis on the internet from memory Biggles visits his uncle Dickpa whose house is under siege. My copy is packed away...
    https://biggles.fandom.com/wiki/The_..._of_the_Condor
    Last edited by palace; 09-03-2022 at 10:33. Reason: phone call

I'm Grant.

interesting plane... who knows what it is?
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

It's a Gloster Meteor. But not a version I've seen before.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    It's a Gloster Meteor. But not a version I've seen before.
    correct its full name is gloster meteor f8 prone pilot. it was a trial to see if pilots got any benefits from flying lying down. it was just before flying suits became better at protecting from g forces. although it helped with g forces it wasnt very good position otherwise and was quickly scrapped
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

I used to see all the early RAF jets, living near Northolt Airport. Being in the ATC I could get in and take a look inside or go on a test or training flight, NAAFI canteen did good grub . Flew in Doves, Pembrokes, Beverley's, Hastings, Valletta at Northolt and others at different airfields bases.

Regular sights were Anson, Shackleton (amazing), Neptune, Packet (very noisy), Dakota, Brittannia, Comet (now and then), Dragonfly, Gannet, Argosy and loads more.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    correct its full name is gloster meteor f8 prone pilot. it was a trial to see if pilots got any benefits from flying lying down. it was just before flying suits became better at protecting from g forces. although it helped with g forces it wasnt very good position otherwise and was quickly scrapped
    I think the Germans originally experimented with this technique and the Arado Blitz bomber pilot was prone.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I used to see all the early RAF jets, living near Northolt Airport. Being in the ATC I could get in and take a look inside or go on a test or training flight, NAAFI canteen did good grub . Flew in Doves, Pembrokes, Beverley's, Hastings, Valletta at Northolt and others at different airfields bases.

Regular sights were Anson, Shackleton (amazing), Neptune, Packet (very noisy), Dakota, Brittannia, Comet (now and then), Dragonfly, Gannet, Argosy and loads more.
    I don't know the Neptune and Packet, what were they?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    I don't know the Neptune and Packet, what were they?
    Lockheed Neptune, maritime surveillance aircraft.

Fairchild Packet, freighter.

Both planes notable for noisy takeoffs. Neptune had radial engines plus jets.

I'm Grant.

remember the neptune.. was a decent plane and could be used in anti sub warfare. i can imagine it to be pretty noisy on takeoff as you say
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    remember the neptune.. was a decent plane and could be used in anti sub warfare. i can imagine it to be pretty noisy on takeoff as you say
    For the Americans, it filled a similar role to our Shackleton, both were regular visitors to Northolt.

The Packets took off half a dozen times a day, as did the Dakotas, likely flying to Germany at that time. There were two US establishment bases nearby (Ickenham and Ruislip).

Later, the Packet was replaced by the Hercules, saw loads of those there.

I also remember an Avro Anson doing a belly-flop onto the roof of a big Express Dairy warehouse on the landing approach. Don't think anybody was hurt, bet they had fun retrieving that! I also bet the pilot was in deep Doo-Doos!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast