+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Military aircraft classics

I'm Mark.

As I'd always been an aircraft 'nut' somebody my parents knew gave me the vinyl LP of that recording , which I still have. I think (but memory fades) I got it around the time when the film Battle of Britain was released, probably '69'ish or thereabouts.

One thing that strikes me, when I'm being fanciful or trying to philosophise (is that a word ?)...... is that we all encounter a certain phenomenon and often we don't realise:
    It's what you may refer to as 'the last time' and by that I mean, we all do and see things and often they become common place. But, in hindsight - we never remember when those sort of sights/events stop. If you knew at the time, that what you were seeing/doing would be the last time you ever saw it/did it - you would try to remember it better or photograph it....... but because these instances creep upon you, you don't have the chance.

One such, major memory was of being in the back of my parents car, driving back from holiday Northbound on the A1. As we approached Alconbury the ground to the right was higher than the carriageways and several Phantoms were just taking off and gaining height as we drove beneath them. What a sight it was, but in those days Phantoms were common-place.
    But one day they weren't and now every time I drive that stretch of road, I look across and think of that hot summers day and think " we don't fly Phantoms anymore, do we ?"

You wouldn't believe the thrill I got many years later when I read a book by Cecil Lewis called Sagittarius Rising, which is about Cecil's time in WWI as a RFC pilot ..... and out of nowhere he suddenly writes about 'The Last Time'.
    Keep these stories coming guys, because one day we won't be here to tell them and they will fade from memory like the old soldiers are doing now.

I'm Graham.

I second that, Mark. We should also get those memories down "on paper" before it's too late.....
    GrahamS - It's not what you hear that counts, it's what you think you hear........

Present Kit: NAD 326BEE, NAD C515BEE CD player, JVC QL-7 DD turntable, JVC Tonearm, Shure M97Ve, Audio Technica AT95EX, Pickering V15, JVC Z1E, Wharfedale Diamond 230s, Visual Rio interconnects and My Ears.

I'm Grant.

A BOEING bird of prey.... 1991 i think

Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post
    I second that, Mark. We should also get those memories down "on paper" before it's too late.....

When I was a kid the first plane I ever saw was the actual one in the picture below, which is a Gruman Goose that used to hunt for submarines but after the war turned into a water taxi between the capital and the city where I am from. But even more amazing is that the picture was taken where I was born. The land at the other side of the river was in fact land that belonged to my family. You can see our house in between the trees behind the tail of the plane.
    The landing where the guy is standing is the at the water front of the hospital where I was born. I used to fish there regularly.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    When I was a kid the first plane I ever saw was the actual one in the picture below, which is a Gruman Goose that used to hunt for submarines but after the war turned into a water taxi between the capital and the city where I am from. But even more amazing is that the picture was taken where I was born. The land at the other side of the river was in fact land that belonged to my family. You can see our house in between the trees behind the tail of the plane.
    The landing where the guy is standing is the at the water front of the hospital where I was born. I used to fish there regularly.

That 'plane reminds me of the drawings from a Biggles book I read when I was young, might have been Cruise of the Condor or Biggles in the South Seas (if that exists). Must look at them again.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post

great picture. looks a nice place to live
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Not anymore unfortunately. Cocaine now makes the law.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    That 'plane reminds me of the drawings from a Biggles book I read when I was young, might have been Cruise of the Condor or Biggles in the South Seas (if that exists). Must look at them again.

You are quite correct Cruise of the Condor I have the book, coincidentally I was thinking of it recently on QI it was said that the latest research suggested that Incas used knotted strings called "Quipus" as a form of writing exactly as W E Johns wrote in a book published in 1933

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by palace View Post
    You are quite correct Cruise of the Condor I have the book, coincidentally I was thinking of it recently on QI it was said that the latest research suggested that Incas used knotted strings called "Quipus" as a form of writing exactly as W E Johns wrote in a book published in 1933
    I haven't read it for about 35 years, did they take a professor around South America looking for things, his name was Donald so they called him duck?

Was just thinking about it and I recalled a scene where they found someone injured by poison arrows who'd been slowly dying and he gave them the treasure (a sacred figure or something) and said take it, it's no use to me any more. Must have had an effect on me at the time to remember all these years later , I was about 11 or 12.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast