+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Military aircraft classics

I'm Jo.

Default Lightning strikes twice....

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Funnily enough I was watching this video about the rocket attack on the HQ of Panzergruppe West a few months earlier on the treadmill at the gym yesterday:

https://youtu.be/c844En8XvC4

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the link, Lawrence. Despite the warning about not meeting in easily identifiable locations, the staff of the 15th Army decided to congregate in Park Merwestein, Dodrecht in Holland and met the same fate at the as those in Chateau La Caine, again Typhoons from 2 Tactical carried out the strike. Incidentally it was 2 Tactical Airforce that undertook Operation Jericho, the attack on the Amiens Prison in February of 1944.

I'm John.

Default English Electric Lightning

I was in the RAF as a boy from 16 to 21/22 and served most of my time on XI Sqn Binbrook working on Lighnings. A fabulous jet to work on but ab bugger to work on also. It was built as an out an out interceptor and for is age it was fantastic with incredible climb to height performance that held many records until a stripped down F15 managed to beat it eventually.

It was also the only jet that managed to catch and outstrip Concorde in level flight with many others trying and failing.

I have fond memories and am still in touch with many old colleagues even now. A military mate is for life.

The line at Binbrook. Had some fun, worked bloody hard and it was COLD in the winter.[IMG][/IMG]

Thats me in the middle at the bottom of the ladder.[IMG][/IMG]

APC in Cyprus at Akrotiri. I'm on the LH side sitting with my legs out on the wing.Again worked hard but had some serious fun also.[IMG][/IMG]

Another Cyprus APC. I'm the short one in the middle at the back.More of the same.[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by speedyj; 07-10-2020 at 12:57.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Home built PC driving Adam Audio 7 Active Monitors from Asus Xonar Essence STX.

I'm Grant.

great story and photos john.. lightning was a fav of mine too... amazing what it could do for its design date
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    great story and photos john.. lightning was a fav of mine too... amazing what it could do for its design date
    It was unbelievable in terms of speed and climb to height. Not much duration and up and down like a yoyo but we loved it for what it was.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm Graham.

Nice one John great pics.
    I remember these at Leuchars. I read somewhere they used to be a pig to service particularly the top engine which required the bottom to be removed. But happy to be corrected if I have this wrong

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by graham67 View Post
    Nice one John great pics.
    I remember these at Leuchars. I read somewhere they used to be a pig to service particularly the top engine which required the bottom to be removed. But happy to be corrected if I have this wrong
    They were not really built to be worked on. It was 60's technology in terms of the airframe so lots of small panels and captive fasteners. We even used wire locking on many nuts and bolts. I often glued nuts to my finger when working blind through two small panels so as not to drop anything. By th end of the day you had a bald finger tip. If you dropped anything inside it often meant dropping the ventral tank and taking out the engines to find the loose objects. That never made anyone very popular.

I'm John.

I remember the first time a Dutch f16 Sqn came to Binbrook and I watched one of their long haired yetis press a button and take half the fuselage off one side exposing most of the inner workings. He almost walked into the plane and we were in shock. So easy to work on.

Everyone loved the Lightnings though so we got to travel all over the world with them. It was an absolute blast.

I did a small tour on Harriers. Another great jet but nothing on the Lightning. Also finished my time on Tornado on the TWCU at Honnington. Interesting but nothing like XI Sqn which was proper old RAF.

I'm Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by speedyj View Post
    I often glued nuts to my finger when working blind through two small panels so as not to drop anything. By th end of the day you had a bald finger tip
    brilliant hopefully not araldite!! Bet u would have killed for some blu tack !!!

I'm Graham.

Recently read and can highly recommend Valiant Boys. Although not as famous or as good as the later V bombers, it was the first so a huge step forward and took part in the nuclear tests in Oz and Christmas Island and Suez.
    An interesting read for military aircraft tragics

I'm Graham.

And for real anoraks like me, this is great fun
    Salute In Sound: 50th Anniversary Of The R.A.F. [LP]
    Group Captain Douglas Bader CBE, DSO, DFC - Salute In Sound: 50th Anniversary Of The R.A.F.

Url: https://www.discogs.com/Group-Captai...master/1119335

Shared from the Discogs App

Love putting this on and cranking the big JBLs up to window rattling levels

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast