+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Military aircraft classics

I'm Shaun.

There is a Lockheed F-94 Starfire at the museum at Elvington near to York that I would so love to get a fine portrait of but every time I go it is in yet another shit location. One day maybe the whole situation will be spot on. I live in hope.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Yes indeed. I remember seeing an early F15 in blue and orange at an airshow at RAF Binbrook during 1977. At that time it just took my breath away and was the only thing I had seen that could perform like a Lightning. These days we see them constantly at RAF Donna Nook about ten miles down the road.
    I'm not sure its rate of climb (to intercept those nuclear bombers in time) was comparable but I could be wrong.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    I'm not sure its rate of climb (to intercept those nuclear bombers in time) was comparable but I could be wrong.

I only know that the initial rate of climb of an F6 was around 53,000 feet per minute making it easy to be at altitude and ready for combat but with only six minutes worth of fuel on board I always wondered how effective it would be.

I'm Lawrence.

I only know that the initial rate of climb of an F6 was around 53,000 feet per minute making it easy to be at altitude and ready for combat but with only six minutes worth of fuel on board I always wondered how effective it would be.
    I thought we were taking about the F15, what you're describing sounds more like an ME163!

Edit: oh you mean the Lightning F6 variant, I thought you meant a US plane F6.

Last edited by Lawrence001; 18-08-2019 at 09:30.

I'm Martin.

After 6 minutes you'd probably have used up all your missiles and ammo anyway.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Anto.

I thought we were taking about the F15, what you're describing sounds more like an ME163!

Edit: oh you mean the Lightning F6 variant, I thought you meant a US plane F6.

The Komet , now that would be a thing !!!
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm Lawrence.

I've been reading the autobiography of the top RN test pilot of WWII and after, Capt. Eric Brown, he was assigned to testing captured German types after the war. He said the Komet was exhilarating to fly, as you would expect! Only captured German ground crew knew how to get it going, so they took special measures to protect themselves against Nazi sympathisers as there was evidence of sabotage attempts on previous flights. I think he was also called upon to interview Von Braun and the Horten brothers for the British.

Well worth a read, it's called Wings on my Sleeve. Lots about the development of carrier ops with early jets. Much experience was shared with the US, along with our technology.

Speaking of dangerous German rocket planes, I wonder what he would have made of the Bachem Natter if he'd ever got the chance to test it. I suspect he would have thought twice before climbing in the cockpit!!

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post

I'm Grant.

I've been reading the autobiography of the top RN test pilot of WWII and after, Capt. Eric Brown, he was assigned to testing captured German types after the war. He said the Komet was exhilarating to fly, as you would expect! Only captured German ground crew knew how to get it going, so they took special measures to protect themselves against Nazi sympathisers as there was evidence of sabotage attempts on previous flights. I think he was also called upon to interview Von Braun and the Horten brothers for the British.

Well worth a read, it's called Wings on my Sleeve. Lots about the development of carrier ops with early jets. Much experience was shared with the US, along with our technology.

Speaking of dangerous German rocket planes, I wonder what he would have made of the Bachem Natter if he'd ever got the chance to test it. I suspect he would have thought twice before climbing in the cockpit!!

Sure Eric said he would refuse to fly it... dont blame him either..... He was qute a pilot and probably flew more aircraft than anyone
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Actually that's an interesting point about interception tactics. Assuming the bombers flew solo missions one (plus maybe a back up flying a slightly different route), with 6 mins of fuel once at the target, the Lighting can only intercept a single bomber so two missiles are probably enough, if one fails you have a back up.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast