+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: basic house keeping

I'm jamie.

Default basic house keeping

sitting back to listen to a bit of john barry to my horror the trumpet on the 1st track distorted on the high notes,a quick bit of investigating lead me to wiggle the speaker cable near the amps binding posts,this made the distortion cut in,cutting off about an inch to expose fresh wire and tightening them firmly back in the posts has cured it.

so chaps check your connections!
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Robert.

Been meaning to post to that effect myself.

In my experience and as you say it's useful to check these things over every few months or so.
    Ie: tightening of connections, binding post connectors, particularly when tightened for bare wire (temp' changes mean things expand and loosen IME).

This also applies to things like armboard screws and the like - have a check, you'll be surprised
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Paul.

When I had speakers with binding posts I used to solder the bared speaker cable (just the wires, not to the terminals).

I found that screwing the binding post down to a wire witha bit of solder on it made a better mechanical connection as it could really bite down into the solder.
    ~Paul~

I'm Robert.

Indeed my ends are silver soldered. Still found that even with firm tightening there is a loosening over time hence defo worth checking these things occasionally as part of hifi housekeeping
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm jamie.

yep mine were too.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Adam.

That's why I never use bare wire connections if I can help it. Banana plugs all the way! (or 2 pin DIN plugs...)
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Steve.

The speaker wire connection to my speakers are bare wire, and although I tightened them as much as I could, every so often I re-check and find it will tighten a bit more. I don't know if the knurled posts are loosening themselves or the wires are shrinking!
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Geoff.

Why not fit good spade connectors?

(although I do prefer banana plugs where possible, preferably 'Z' type)

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    The speaker wire connection to my speakers are bare wire, and although I tightened them as much as I could, every so often I re-check and find it will tighten a bit more. I don't know if the knurled posts are loosening themselves or the wires are shrinking!
    I used to do the same until it eventually rung off the posts. What’s happening is the brass post is stretching. I wound up soldering the wires to the terminal post, no more problems!

Russell

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    It loosens because over time the speaker wire compresses. Tighten more, it’ll compress more, ad infinitum. Proper screw down connectors i.e. in mains blocks don’t do this. As suggested, get z plugs fitted IMO.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast