+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transistors, Tubes Sound The Same, It's The Circuit Topologies That Sound Different

I'm Paul.

Default Transistors, Tubes Sound The Same, It's The Circuit Topologies That Sound Different

Just found this article online and thought it was quite interesting:

https://www.electronicdesign.com/ana...se-fire-part-2

This is part two and part one is a good read too, although I haven't got all the way through it as of yet.

The writer touches on a few other things but overall he says that it is not the actual devices that dictate the sound but the actual topology. The claim is that he has made various swap-outs, like replacing tubes for MOSFETs (as part of a sub circuit, to make it a drop-in replacement) and that the measurements and perceived sound remained pretty much constant.

Between both parts there a few other things in here worth a look, such as, capacitor distortion, tying knots in speaker cables and the limits of perceiving phase and distortion down to ppm.

Not saying it's all gospel.

Wondering what other people's thought are on this?
    ~Paul~

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

I tend to agree with him to a point, you can indeed make each topology perform very similar, in sonics, and on test, however; there is undoubtably diffrences in the way each device works that dictate why one is better than the other when comparing them as far as their strengths and weaknesses etc.
    A....

The writer touches on a few other things but overall he says that it is not the actual devices that dictate the sound but the actual topology, Wondering what other people's thought are on this?.
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Grant.

there was a guy who used to adjust amps to sound like any amp you want.. think he had an ongoing bet he could do it. so i guess its possible to a degree anyway.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dave.

Several years ago, Tim De Paravicini (EAR Yoshino) made two amps with very similar specs. One was transistor, the other valve and the purpose of these was to show that the two approaches could sound the same. We had them on demo for a few months and tried them on willing customers and a couple of reviewers of the time. The results were that they sounded, pretty much, the same and couldn't, reliably, be identified as valve or transistor.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    there was a guy who used to adjust amps to sound like any amp you want.. think he had an ongoing bet he could do it. so i guess its possible to a degree anyway.
    I guess that was Bob Carver, formally of Carver and then Sundyne I think it was called. I repaired a Carver amp once, a TFM 25 I think. It was a beast of a thing and had three sets of voltage rails. The amp would switch in the next highest rail when a peak output signal exceeded the limit of the current rail being used. I think NAD done something similar.

TFM stood for Transfer Function Modified, which I understood meant that the amp was voiced in a particular way buy modifying the output impedance and dampening factor among other things.

I thought about the Bob Carver stuff when I read this article.
    ~Paul~

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalsea View Post
    I guess that was Bob Carver, formally of Carver and then Sundyne I think it was called. I repaired a Carver amp once, a TFM 25 I think. It was a beast of a thing and had three sets of voltage rails. The amp would switch in the next highest rail when a peak output signal exceeded the limit of the current rail being used. I think NAD done something similar.

TFM stood for Transfer Function Modified, which I understood meant that the amp was voiced in a particular way buy modifying the output impedance and dampening factor among other things.

I thought about the Bob Carver stuff when I read this article.
    yeah, thats the guy
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Timothy.

Good old Bob, yes Carver and Sunfire....I used to own a couple of Carver products back in the day, when it was modeled pretty much after his former Phase Linear stuff, the C500 power amplifier and the C4000 preamp/console. I liked the C500 amplifier better than the C4000 preamp, but it was all fun stuff at the time.
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalsea View Post
    Just found this article online and thought it was quite interesting:

https://www.electronicdesign.com/ana...se-fire-part-2

This is part two and part one is a good read too, although I haven't got all the way through it as of yet.

The writer touches on a few other things but overall he says that it is not the actual devices that dictate the sound but the actual topology. The claim is that he has made various swap-outs, like replacing tubes for MOSFETs (as part of a sub circuit, to make it a drop-in replacement) and that the measurements and perceived sound remained pretty much constant.

Between both parts there a few other things in here worth a look, such as, capacitor distortion, tying knots in speaker cables and the limits of perceiving phase and distortion down to ppm.

Not saying it's all gospel.

Wondering what other people's thought are on this?
    I've heard this argument before but I haven't heard the SS amplifier that genuinely sounds like valves.

Yes, they may be voiced similarly but there's a naturalness, grace, air and freedom from artifice that valves provide which SS devices can't seem to match.

Of course, SS can do other things well and arguably better (high power, bass slam) but give the same result, not that I've heard.

Here's a good comparison, same manufacturer, same preamp, and the SS amp even has output transformers so probably as good as it gets for an A-B but for me the valve amp is so much more listenable even with the mic overloading!

I'm Paul.

Personally I'm not so sure about the that particular point made in the article. If I've understood it correctly in order to get the solid state device to work in a valve based circuit you need a load of auxiliary components. Therefore the circuit topology is no longer like the original and what you have is something else (hybrid) designed to operate as a facsimile of the original. At that point the circuit with the substituted part in no longer has that same topology as the original circuit.
    ~Paul~

I'm John.

My point was if it's easy to make a transistor amp sound like valves why isn't it done regularly?

If it's because you can't really due to circuit limitations but in theory the devices don't matter then it's a bit of a waste of time talking about it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast