+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Advice regarding tonearm for Technics SL1200 mk2.

I'm Geoff.

This Ortofon looks suitably rigid. Not tried one though. Whatever you buy, make sure it has elongated bolt slots for overhang adjustment as the arm does not provide this facility.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ortofon-L...oAAOSwcGBaqRWE

And if you don't already have one, the Technics overhang gauge can be handy too. They are usually supplied with the turntables, but can be bought separately. It saves a whole lot of set-up messing around. Another good reason for sticking with the original arm.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TECHNICS-...4AAOSw1uRZt77P

Last edited by walpurgis; 14-09-2018 at 08:56.

I'm Bikram.

Thanks Geoff. I have the overhang gauge..

I'm Mick.

The standard arm once modified is a pretty good. Loads of features other arms dont have. Get it rewired and damped internally with a shrink wrap to the outside of the tube I think you will be happy. A lot of people always slag it off but its mostly hearsay most of the time by people who have never used it. Yes a lot better is out there but to be honest you are not gaining by changing to a Rega arm. Trust me I have been there twice. Unless you are going to spend a lot of money on a tonearm its a cheap mod that I think you will be happy with.

Also the Ortofon headshell is good for the price.
    Technics SL1210 MK2 fully rebuilt and repainted. Ortofon 2M Black Cart, Isonoe isolation feet , MN bearing and Funk Firm platter upgrade, Oyaide RCA Tone Arm and speaker cables, Jelco SA-750D Tonearm. Oyaide HS-TF Carbon headshell, MCRU Linear External PSU, High Fidelity Crystal glass turntable matt, Blue LED upgrade, Denon AVR-2808CI Amp, Bowers and Wilkins DM602S3 Speakers,
    Black Rhodium Jazz power cables for amp and turntable, Firebottle mk2 Phono Stage.

I'm Bikram.

Hi Mick, I already rewired it with cardas and changed the RCA cable as well. It sound great. i was just curious to change it to the other arm. probably will shrink the outside tube. thanks for the advice Mick.
    Technics SL1200 mk2 turntable ( Rewired tonearm with cardas 33awg cable) Ortofon 2m blue cartridge. Thorens TD 160 super (Decca london international tonearm and Decca Brown/export cartridge/stylus). Audiolab 8000Q Pre-amplifier with Audiolab 8000P power amplifier. Rega planet 2000 cd player. Pioneer cassette deck CT-S740S. Quad 21L speakers. Moth RCM mk1.

I'm Mel.

Quote Originally Posted by kambo_z View Post
    It means the only option left is Jelco tonearm or i am missing something..
    The audiomods is not rega based - it does use a highly modified rega arm tube but everything else is made by jeff himself so ignore any coments regarding comparisons with rega arms.

My version five is currently fitted with a Dynovector Karat Mk2 but sounds great with a slightly warmer AT33 EV

Mel

I'm Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by Cycleallday View Post
    The audiomods is not rega based - it does use a highly modified rega arm tube but everything else is made by jeff himself so ignore any coments regarding comparisons with rega arms.

My version five is currently fitted with a Dynovector Karat Mk2 but sounds great with a slightly warmer AT33 EV

Mel
    In my comments I was referring to a standard Rega arm
    Technics SL1210 MK2 fully rebuilt and repainted. Ortofon 2M Black Cart, Isonoe isolation feet , MN bearing and Funk Firm platter upgrade, Oyaide RCA Tone Arm and speaker cables, Jelco SA-750D Tonearm. Oyaide HS-TF Carbon headshell, MCRU Linear External PSU, High Fidelity Crystal glass turntable matt, Blue LED upgrade, Denon AVR-2808CI Amp, Bowers and Wilkins DM602S3 Speakers,
    Black Rhodium Jazz power cables for amp and turntable, Firebottle mk2 Phono Stage.

I'm phil.

There's lots of choices Not just a jelco there's sme 3009s, fidelity research 54, Hadcock, mission 747 all of which are capable enough all down to personnel choice and rega although not overly popular on here, but the best arm I've heard on a techie was funk firms fx arm.
    Modded td160 super Thorens ol encounter arm hana sl cart, angle audio studio pro mc virtual battery phono amp with separate psi, Onix pre and mono amps, Onix CD player, Onix BWD and soap tuner. B&W dm2 speakers or super pencil 12 speakers, atlas cables, seperate mains power supply with earth spike.

I'm Kevin.

I am a fan of the Funk Firm arms, but with a budget of £600, you will be lucky to find one.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm phil.

I know you won't get one for that price, I was just stating a rega derived arm (fxr) that works well very well on a technics
    Modded td160 super Thorens ol encounter arm hana sl cart, angle audio studio pro mc virtual battery phono amp with separate psi, Onix pre and mono amps, Onix CD player, Onix BWD and soap tuner. B&W dm2 speakers or super pencil 12 speakers, atlas cables, seperate mains power supply with earth spike.

I'm Kevin.

Mine is a Technics based FXR, and I was lucky to find one within the OPs budget.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast