+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MiniDisc. Regaining Popularity?

I'm Geoff.

Default MiniDisc. Regaining Popularity?

I've noticed that second hand prices for MiniDisc players and recorders and just discs seem to be on the up. This includes personal units and decks. I wonder why?

It is a format I actually like a lot. I have several personal units amd a good Pioneer deck. Not that I ever use them these days.

The recording quality with a good deck is amazingly good. Recordings I've made on my deck from my main CD setup sound virtually indistinguishable from the original, in other words, outstandingly good.

Are we seeing a revival? Could be fun!

I'm Martyn.

As far as I’m concerned minidisc never went away. I have a Tascam prof. unit and its quality is superb.
    I bought it to replace an old cassette deck, mainly to record from a tuner.
    I bought a pre-recorded Simon & Garfunkel MD on eBay and compared it to the S & G CD I have.
    To be honest, I couldn’t tell the difference...

I'm Geoff.

Yup. My Pioneer MJ-D707 deck makes remarkable recordings. Even the little Sharp personal recorder/players I have are really very good. Makes you feel sorry for people listening to MP3 players.

I'm Steve.

I had a Denon DMD1000 but the laser died and was not cost effective to replace, but I still have a Philips portable unit hiding in a box somewhere.
    Steve.

Kit I have:
    CD player, TTs, Phono stages, Pre amps, Power amps, Integrated amps, DACs, Streamers, Speakers and a bunch of cables.

I'm Simon.

always used them in the car still Sony stopped makin them. The last version of ATRAC was always way better than mp3s best efforts.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Eamonn.

Default MD's

I've never stopped using the trusty little format, currently got a Sony MDS JB920 QS and looking to buy another as back up.
    Mac
    Accuphase C2420 pre P4200 poweramp, Electrocompaniet EMC1UP, Sonos Connect, Innuous ZENith MKIII, RME ADI2, Harbeth 40th anniversary SHL5 Plus

I'm Simon.

The ATRAC system was/is amazingly good.

The reason these decks are going up in price is simple supply and demand. There is still a healthy demand for them, buy supply is becoming limited due to products failing with age and not being repairable.

I used to have an MD deck in my car; far superior as an in car proposition than CDs. I still have a couple of hundred mini discs at home; stupidly sold a really good deck a few years back. I'll buy another when the right one comes up.
    Lindemann Network Bridge > McIntosh MHA150 > Shahinian Larc speakers

I'm Grant.

i stopped a while ago but still have plenty discs and a couple of sony recording walkmans; one a net type and another just a player in bronze colour. they are as said above very good for recordable media.
    the net one is handy for cleaning discs that have been locked electronically.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread