+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Technics Amp and CD player from the 90's

I'm John.

Default Big Technics Amp and CD player from the 90's

Picked this pair up recently for a bit of fun, thought some of you might like a look. One owner from new who ran them with Mission 753s back in the day.

First up the SU-VX920. This was Technics' top of the range integrated (bar the big champagne coloured jobbie with built in DAC) in the 1992-1993 catalogue. I was born in '74 so these are very much of my time. Definitely brings back a few memories. This big girl's beauty is more than skin deep though, as you'll discover when you try to lift it up - it weighs about 17kg, heavily offset to the LHS where the TWO (count 'em!) mains transformers reside. Feature count is high including MM/MC inputs, tone controls, mono mode etc. but there's also a dedicated straight through input, should you desire it, which bypasses everything except the volume control.

Super clean condition, both inside and out. For 25 years there was very little in the way of dust apparent. This photo was taken as soon as I got the lid off, nothing a quick wipe didn't clean. Perhaps the secret is that these components spent all their days in one of those tall hifi stands with the smoked glass door, I'm sure you know the type

Apparently these amps have a MosFet Voltage stage which then drives a heavier MosFet current output stage. I don't know but that's what I've read.

The only issue was a slightly crackly volume control which cleared up perfectly with a bit of exercise and no sign of any bulging capacitors anywhere, result

Next up the SL-PS900 CD palyer. Again the top of the range player for 92-93 except for the 1200 broadcast player like Macca's.

Fantastic condition and reads and loads discs perfectly. The mechanism is super smooth and quiet, nice! It's physically a big machine and comes complete with an equally big handset. The remote even had the original National (Panasonic) batteries in it and they hadn't leaked (after 25 years!), they were flat though.

They make a nice pair, here's a picture with a CD case to give an idea of scale, they're pretty chunky.

Note the Class AA markings! More A's than an Aardvark between them

They sound fantastic too, the amp is very neutral, composed and solid sounding, never seems to get flustered and has surprisingly resolution. The CD player is very dynamic and naturally detailed. TBH you could listen to these for hours and they would make a cracking system with a nice big pair of floorstanders. Technics seemed to be doing a lot right with their stuff back then, it may look mass market but it would give a lot of the hifi darlings a run for their money.

I'm fabulous.

Had some Technics gear in the past... always good stuff. I'm quite jealous of that little windfall. Enjoy!
    lossless > Raspberry PI-3b+ > allo Boss > Van Damme Purple interconnect >
    Myryad Z210 CD Player > Chord Chameleon Silver+ interconnect >

into Magnum IA170 amplifier > Van Damme Blue 4mm cable > Mission 752 Freedom Floorstanders
    Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Open-back

I'm Martin.

Beautiful condition. You should see if you can try and collect the whole stack, tuner, tape deck, equaliser. Would look good.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Paul.

I think these look smart, pretty timeless design really. Engineering looks decent too and there just seems to be a sense of understated quality about them.
    ~Paul~

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Beautiful condition. You should see if you can try and collect the whole stack, tuner, tape deck, equaliser. Would look good.
    Don't even go there Macca....still don't know what to do with this lot.

There's a couple of those Technics branded cabinets with the smoked glass door on ebay though, you got me looking

I'm John.

Here's a price list I found, it's in DM but it's good for comparing one against another.

Notice the slight difference between the 900 and 1200 CD players!

I'm Martin.

'Cassettendecks' that's classic. Funny how the German for 'Graphic-Equalizer' is just 'Graphic-Equalizer'.

You really should keep them and try and get the set. I'm going to do it with Sony. Got the CD, amp and DAT deck, just need the tuner, graphic and spectrum analyser. The spectrum analyser is the bitch to get.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm John.

Here's the other half, even the racks are on it. An 1210 record deck was the same price as the 900 CD player. They held their value a heck of a lot better though.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by guyhayton View Post
    Had some Technics gear in the past... always good stuff. I'm quite jealous of that little windfall. Enjoy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Primalsea View Post
    I think these look smart, pretty timeless design really. Engineering looks decent too and there just seems to be a sense of understated quality about them.
    Thanks fellas, here's the specs on the amp, 110 wpc. The lowish (for SS) damping factor of 80 works really well with my Tannoy 385 HPDs. They can sound dead as a door nail with high DF amps.

Last edited by JohnJo; 10-09-2018 at 21:12.

I'm Robert.

Hi John, Nice one ! I had one of these briefly after the almost identical looking flagship before it the SU VX800.

I actually prefered the sound of the VX800 finding it more musical and went back to it.

Mission 752 Freedoms and a lovely Technics SH8055 vintage eq. Boy did that set up make a sweet sweet sound - loved it.

The VX920 is a nice amp, Mosfet too
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast