+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Incompetent turntable fettling

I'm paul.

Not wanting to teach anyone how to suck eggs, why waste money on that silly thing with a point on to mark where the hole goes. Get a flat piece of wood, 6mm thick will do, drill a hole the size of the spindle, then measure the pivot to spindle distance and drill a hole the size of a pencil, job done and costs pennies if anything at all. It stays flat and more accurate than wobbling about on the spindle.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ReggieB View Post
    To be honest, I didn't hear it beforehand. Where am I going to hear one of these arms in an LP12? I've been working myself up to changing the arm for a while. I'd been considering a Jelco SA-750D but hadn't bitten the bullet. Then I read the reviews of the Phonomac fettled AT-1010 and it seemed to tick all the boxes for me: A good quality arm, with a detatchable headshell (I want to experiment more with cartridges), that wasn't going to break the bank. I also liked the fact that is was something a little unusual. If it doesn't work out I expect I'll be able to sell the arm on ... though I'm obviously hoping that's not going to be the case.
    I just wondered if you been to hear one anywhere, doesn't have to be on am LP12!!!

I am sure you are going to be more than happy with the arm.

Congratulations on your purchase.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    Not wanting to teach anyone how to suck eggs, why waste money on that silly thing with a point on to mark where the hole goes. Get a flat piece of wood, 6mm thick will do, drill a hole the size of the spindle, then measure the pivot to spindle distance and drill a hole the size of a pencil, job done and costs pennies if anything at all. It stays flat and more accurate than wobbling about on the spindle.
    The Beam Compass was purchased second hand for £15, and is a thing of beauty in my opinion. It made the job very easy, and I'm sure I'll find use of it again in the future.
    Rob.
    Powered by crossed fingers and clenched buttocks

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I am sure you are going to be more than happy with the arm.

Congratulations on your purchase.

Thank you. And thank you for your review which first brought my attention to the arm.
    Rob.
    Powered by crossed fingers and clenched buttocks

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ReggieB View Post
    Thank you. And thank you for your review which first brought my attention to the arm.
    Ah! That's nice to know. Glad to have helped.

I'm Rob.

The screws have arrived.

And the arms is in!!!!

The arm being a little further to the right, and of course being a little different in weight to the Akito it's replacing, meant some adjustment to the suspension. But with that done all is looking good. I'll need to be careful of the positioning to ensure the arm clears the lid when it's refitted. So all good .... except ...

... no leads in the head shell. Bugger, something else I didn't check ... I did mention the incompetence thing before didn't I. However, looking good to everything being finished next weekend.
    Rob.