+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Incompetent turntable fettling

I'm Rob.

Default Incompetent turntable fettling

A few months ago I bought an AT1010 from Phonomac and after lots of faffing over the last couple of weeks I've finally started work on fitting it to my Linn LP12. As well as the arm, I also invested in a Vinyl Adventure Corvette tonearm cable. Though things were progressing slowly, they were going well .... until I got to drilling holes in the arm board.

I bought a beam compass to help with the marking out, and that worked a treat.

But then I foolishly decided to drill the armboard without first drilling a pilot hole. The result was a snapped arm board

Vinyl Passion were great in supplying the blank arm board - but I didn't trust myself to try drilling another. So after a bit of a search, I found a supplier that would supply a board pre-cut for the AT-1010 (Konne). It arrived today.

I was all set to fit it .... until I realised I didn't have the right screws to attach the arm collar to the board. I was hoping Screwfix would have something suitable, but no. Back to ebay for some counter sunk stainless bolts - they should arrive Wednesday.

I was hoping to get the arm fitted this weekend, but it's going to be next weekend. It's slow progress, but I have to admit that I'm enjoying myself, and I'm so looking forward to hearing the end results.
    Rob.
    Powered by crossed fingers and clenched buttocks

I'm Ian.

I feel your pain, my other name is Sausage Fingers
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm jamie.

these things happen,at least your not frightened to have a go,its the best way to learn imo,all be it sometimes expensive.
    ive got a PMAT-1010 coming so i will be interested in how you like it.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm James.

Love the title of the post. I would be just as inept!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Deleted.

It looks like the first armboard was acrylic which is more brittle than people often appreciate. It’s not so much that you needed a pilot hole as you need a sharp drill (or forstner bit), not a spade bit as you may use for wood) and a gentle drilling pressure with the acrylic backed by a bit of waste wood to stop cracking as the drill goes through the last bit. The second armboard looks like an acrylic/stone mix like Corian or Hi-Macs. This is significantly heavier than acrylic, but is also a lot stronger and less likely to crack.

Edit: it could be Staron too but all these silica/acrylic composites are very similar.

More editing: looking at the two armboard the position of the arm mounting hole appear to be in very different positions with the new one being much more toward the edge....?
    Last edited by YNWaN; 08-09-2018 at 20:50.
    Account Deleted

I'm Rob.

Yes it is Corian. And yes, the positions are different. In fact I think off centre will be better as it will keep the arm connection away from the cross piece in the corner of the base.
    Rob.