+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Croft phono stages etc.

I'm James.

I can only add my experiences with the basic RIAA phono stage. I originally bought it to partner the Decca London Super Gold I was using at the time, having heard that Glenn designed his stages around them. Indeed, this pairing made a very acceptable noise indeed

When I sold the Decca I have to admit I wondered if I'd be keeping the Croft but as it turns out it's way more than a one trick pony. It's currently making very nice tunes with my SPU (by way of an Ortofon SUT) and in fact I prefer this combination to the Decca.

My stage was modified by Glenn a few years ago to include 2 inputs, he turned it around quickly and even screenprinted the front of the unit around the new switch! I have rolled some PSvane tubes into it and this has brought about a more even handed feel to the sound, the original JJ tubes can be a little rough and ready, though exciting and involving.

Hope this helps. Ask me anything you can think of
    Nottingham Analogue Spacedeck / Kuzma Stogi S / Benz Micro Ace S L
    Lenco L-75 / Carl Ellis Plinth / Ortofon AS-212 / Ortofon SPU Classic GM E MkII
    Ortofon ST-7 SUT / Nick G Modded Lentek Head Amp / Croft RIAA

Cambridge Audio CXU / Theta DS Pro Prime

Classé Model 30 / Luxman M-383

Usher Compass X-719

May contain opinions that others find disturbing.

I'm Timothy.

Thanks James, appreciate your comments. Buying Croft over here in the US is decent, at least we can get them. Getting them modified/upgraded can be tough, a trip back across the pond. The basic RIAA and the "R" versions are what we have available, which is good. Probably for me, if I take the Croft approach, it will be either of these two models.
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

I'm Timothy.

Guys and gals(?), Croft phono stages are still in the mix, I am also hoping to maybe have a listen to the TRON Convergence MM stage as well. Just talked with US importer, Jeff Catalano from High Water Sound in NYC about pricing and such. I guess He and Graham are working on US pricing so I should know at least where that stands soon. Of course what I have read about GT’s gear, seems to be another fantastic option As well. More to come in due time....
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Frazeur1 View Post
    Guys and gals(?), Croft phono stages are still in the mix, I am also hoping to maybe have a listen to the TRON Convergence MM stage as well. Just talked with US importer, Jeff Catalano from High Water Sound in NYC about pricing and such. I guess He and Graham are working on US pricing so I should know at least where that stands soon. Of course what I have read about GT’s gear, seems to be another fantastic option As well. More to come in due time....
    Hi,

I've heard the Tron Convergence, I had one here for about 4 weeks. I've also heard Croft offerings and I have to say, the Croft is where I'd spend my money.

I know it's difficult when you can't get a home demo, every one has their opinion. Mine is, you won't go wrong with the Croft, whichever box you choose.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Timothy.

Curious, I assume it was the MM Convergence stage? No doubt I love Croft too, and obviously still in the running. If I can get an at-home trial before I buy on the Tron, I will. It is a shame I cannot get the same for Croft here. To be honest, I doubt I would have an issue with either one, but due diligence and all that business! Thanks for your note/comment, much appreciated!

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Frazeur1 View Post
    Curious, I assume it was the MM Convergence stage? No doubt I love Croft too, and obviously still in the running. If I can get an at-home trial before I buy on the Tron, I will. It is a shame I cannot get the same for Croft here. To be honest, I doubt I would have an issue with either one, but due diligence and all that business! Thanks for your note/comment, much appreciated!
    I am sure it had SUTs inside but I'd need to double check.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Timothy.

I know the Convergence MC has transformers in it. I haven’t seen a MM one yet, which is what I need for my Nagaoka. I will probably be staying with an MM for a good while, maybe forever....

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post

Just a though you would do even better if you bought a Croft 25 linestage preamp and used it with a Croft RIAA R phono stage. This would better all the Croft preamp including the RS but is only a benefit particularly for vinyl although you would stil have a linestage for digital . If this is important then maybe a 25R linestage and Croft RIAA R.

Lots of choices!
    Is an RIAA-R plus line-stage-only 25R really better than a 25R with integrated phono? I can see a perceived benefit in having separate PSUs for phono and line stages, but does it actually sound better?

I'm Dave.

Yes, it does.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlemaker View Post
    Is an RIAA-R plus line-stage-only 25R really better than a 25R with integrated phono? I can see a perceived benefit in having separate PSUs for phono and line stages, but does it actually sound better?
    Yep, don't take my word for it, that was from Glenn himself. A mate of mine has a RIAA R and he said it was way better than his RS.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast