+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BatPure 'Super-Tweeters'

I'm Richard.

Default BatPure 'Super-Tweeters'

SuperTweeters

This is not for the pure subjectivists..

I have been experimenting with some ‘Batpure’ super-tweeters that seem to have garnered a lot of rave reviews in various forums.
    (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-TAKE-...MAAOSwWo5bfJLq)

So I decided to do some tests. Subjectively, (setting up the null hypothesis), I couldn’t hear any difference - or if there was it was minor. I’m 70yr old so my ‘top-end’ is obviously limited anyway, but I was curious so see if there were objective tests. Other people have subjectively experienced, paradoxically, a better lower and mid- range (!) - possibly, so some have argued, as the addition of the super tweeters alters the impedance characteristics of the main drivers.

Apparatus:
    Mac laptop. Minidsp UMIK1 microphone (calibrated). REW software (free). ((https://www.roomeqwizard.com))

Fed from headphone socket on the Mac laptop to a Schitt pre-amp and then a WD KEL84 valve amp.
    The super tweeters are mounted in separate boxes that sit atop my Living Voice speakers (see pic)

I am NOT an expert in the software- I just used a simple guide (https://www.minidsp.com/applications...setup-with-rew)

These are the results: at first I thought…as expected…no difference - but then when I utilised overlays there were subtle differences. The test was repeated a second time. (Results not shown as only 5 pics can be uploaded per 'message' -but they showed the same results. PM me if you wish me to Email them to you)

I’ll let others pass comments…and yes…I know… ‘use your ears’ - a mantra that I have already signed-up to, but I do find objective measurements interesting (gratifying if they support one’s prejudices; annoying if they don’t (but still interesting though)).
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Kevin.

You need to try a different microphone.

The microphone you have has the following characteristics - Frequency response: 20 Hz - 20kHz +/-1dB with calibration loaded
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Lawrence.

Individual microphones might be within that spec but I wouldn't expect a given microphone to change its spec between observations, so I think the comparison graphs are valid. If not, then a few repeated observations with averages would confirm or not.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Kevin.

You are missing the point.
    Super tweeters operate above 20KHz, so with a low cut off level why would you see if they do anything on a graph? It is like trying to measure absolute zero with a thermometer that only goes to 0 degrees Celsius.
    Kevin

I'm Kevin.

The Batpure starts to operate at 20KHz, and apparently goes up to 150KHz.
    Kevin

I'm Simon.

You can't measure those superyweeter with that mic, you need one with a response up to 40khz
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Simon.

Just noticed you're 70, stop wasting your money on supertweeters. You'll struggle to hear 14khz never mind 20khz.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Richard.

Hi,

There are 2 points I'd like to make:
    1. I agree that the microphone cannot measure the HF output of the BatPure above 20kHz.
    2. BUT it can measure the somewhat paradoxical theory that the use of a super tweeter can have an effect on the frequency graphs of the main drivers (see first post).
    Last edited by Bonky; 08-09-2018 at 16:57.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    Just noticed you're 70, stop wasting your money on supertweeters. You'll struggle to hear 14khz never mind 20khz.
    Is there a misconception here? It's not the audible output from the supertweeter that is listened to, it's the effect it has on the overall sound. I can hear whether a supertweeter is in circuit or not and I'm 70. I've experimented with many supertweeters rolling in correctly above the output from the main tweeter and can always hear their effect.

I'm Dave.

Exactly.

Do you need to spend large amounts on a Super Tweeter ? I used to add a £5 Motorola Super Tweeter to all manner of speakers back in the 90s and it worked very well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast