+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Yamaha AS 701 amplifier

I'm Bob.

Default Yamaha AS 701 amplifier

Does any one have one?

And care to let me know what they think of it.

I am currently running a Pioneer receiver with a pair of Tannoy Cheviots and an Xbox One X as my source, I did try my Quad 33/405 combination with a DAC but it didn't work out with the Pioneer actually sounding better.

But it is a tad under powered if I want to wake the neighbours up.

So have been thinking about what I want, and it lists like this, 100W per channel into 8OHM's, digital input, remote control, and preferably good simple looks, in the looks, power, digital input and remote the new Cyrus One wins hands down, especially on looks but is £999 compared to the Yamaha's £475, I could probably live with the looks for a £500 saving as long as it sounds good.

The Cyrus One is now out in two variants, the £699 without digital and the £999 with.

I have to admit I have never owned any Yamaha kit so nothing to base any ideas on, of course I would go for a listen before I buy, but any help appreciated.

EDIT: Yes I know I already have a DAC, but I am fed up with wires all over the place, so a good sounding one box solution is preferred.
    Last edited by bobvfr; 07-09-2018 at 20:36.
    System a mixture of old and new.

Speakers Tannoy Cheviot, Amp Pioneer receiver but looking for something new, Source Xbox One X (For everything) via a Panasonic 65inch 4k HDR TV.

I'm steve.

Default Yamaha AS 701

I’ve owned its smaller brother the AS501 and a friend of mine has the AS701 and I’ve auditioned it.
    Tbh I thought the AS501 sounded better both using the optical digital input. I’ve since displaced the Yam with a Cambridge CXA60 which is head and shoulders better, as it should be really being double the price. The CXA60 is more detailed and transparent as well as having better dynamics, if you can run to £600 the Cambridge takes some beating, according to some reports the latest Rega Brio at the same price hedges it but you don’t get an onboard DAC.
    Btw do you really need 100wpc ? when the difference between 60w and 100w is only about 2dbs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by steve-z; 07-09-2018 at 22:28.

I'm nigel.

As above...I also had a 501 for a short time.
    Not as detailed as you'd think...and the DAC is not really good enough for critical listening.
    It's fine for TV or gaming though.
    Bet its the same experience with the 701, but slightly louder.

I'm Bob.

Don't worry folks, its already off my shopping list.

Probably going to end up with either the Quad Vena (Got it all input wise, but only 45w into 8ohm) or go for the best looking small footprint amp the Cyrus One (at 100w into 6ohm so about 70w) and use the external DAC that I already have. I am not going to consider the Cyrus One HD, yes it has a DAC built in, but they have ruined the aesthetics by introducing red LED's along with the crisp white ones, couldn't cope with that, plus it works out at £1,000.

At time when I need to build a shed, put insulation in the house, and somehow figure out how to get past my Ruby wedding anniversary when we have no spare money, this really could be a long time coming, so just thinking out loud......

Speakers Tannoy Cheviot, Amp Pioneer receiver but looking for something new, Source Xbox One X (For everything) via a Panasonic 65inch 4k HDR TV.

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobvfr View Post
    Probably going to end up with either the Quad Vena (Got it all input wise, but only 45w into 8ohm)
    I have a Quad Vena and believe me - it goes plenty loud!

I currently use it running a pair of Quad 22L floor standers and don't let it past the first couple of notches on the volume control unless I am absolutely sure the neighbours are out for the day

I originally got it to get rid of the incredible spaghetti mess of cables when using it with a Q-DAC/passive/Quad 405-2 ..... and that was also damn loud!

I'm Bob.

Fed up with wires all over the place.

I may well try a visit to Analogue Seduction in Whittlesey (About 12 miles away) and get a listen to them both.

+ Reply to Thread