+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moving Magnet on a SME V

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I believe the Transfiguration Proteus costs around £3,500 and the London Reference around £3,000.

Exactly Barry, £500 cheaper!!��
    Realistically I'd be looking at the Goldring 2500 level if buying new.

I'm Nari.

I thought so hence the not suggesting the London Reference, I find the decca the best match for the SME V even above the proteus which works better in say a PU7 or graham the Sme seems to like to have some life injected into it. Cartridge matching like with most tonearms is so important the Sme V seems to need that extra bit of care taken as some describe and neutral some say flat some say boring but on the same note is a fine tonearm that has stood the test of time.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm brian.

I had a Voyd 3 motor version with an SME 5 on it. a friend lent me an Audio Note MM cartridge. I cant remember which version, but it sounded great.

I took it to the Scalford show that year and it received much favourable comment.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    ... and the London Reference around £3,000.
    Ye gods; a Decca or m.m. costing upper territory m/coil money? Wonder how this differs from the other Deccas. Had a C4E (I think it was) once and can remember the presentational aspects even after 45 years.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny nocash View Post
    Exactly Barry, £500 cheaper!!��
    Realistically I'd be looking at the Goldring 2500 level if buying new.
    Sorry, I must have misunderstood - I thought you were looking for a fixed-coil cartridge that was similarly priced.

How much would it cost to have your Transfiguration re-tipped?
    Barry

I'm John.

This option is away from the brief, and closer in value to a Big Brand MM.
    A High Output Moving Coil 'Acoustical Systems The Archon'.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12