+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving Magnet on a SME V

I'm Richard.

Default Moving Magnet on a SME V

Have any of you learned folks ever used a MM cartridge on a SME V arm?
    I appreciate that most go down the MC route but wondered what results have been found when the crime was comitted ��
    Last edited by Johnny nocash; 07-09-2018 at 18:51.

I'm Mike.

At 11 grammes eff. mass, it's at the lighter end of medium mass arms, and therefore suitable for many if not most high compliance moving magnet cart's. I've currently got an Ortofon VMS20E mark 2 (high comp.+1 g VTF) on my 14.5 g. 12" Nott. Analogue Ace Anna. Sounds way better than expected. Therefore, quite a bit of leeway and the Five is a very versatile arm anyway.

I'm Geoff.

I'd expect the more upmarket Audio Technica MM's to suit well. Or a Technics EPC-205, if a decent one could still be sourced.

I'm Nari.

I have owned a few Sme series V arms since 1987, I have tried the technic 205 which was lovely I had a few reliability issues maybe it was just my luck, I also owned a shure ultra 500 which I also liked a bit laid back compared to the technics.

As for current offerings I have a friend who only runs MM cartridges on his Sme Series V and have heard the GL2500 BY Goldring which I found very full bodied and rich I liked it maybe a bit overpowering for some but fantastic weight and scale, I have also heard the Audio Technica VM760SL very fast and detailed a little thin compared to the Goldring I preferred the Goldring. I have also heard the £1500 grado MM I the statement 2 and it did sound very well balanced and seemed to work really on the sme bass was very deep midrange had no glare or brightness with a very sweet top, dynamics were superb. The sme tonearm can be a bit bleached and sterile but with the right cartridge one can get good results.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The (Decca) London 'Reference' works very well in the SME V.
    Barry

I'm Richard.

Thanks for the input so far folks, interesting stuff.

At the moment I'm using a transfiguration Pheonix S mc which I really like & still has a lot of life in it yet. I feel it's very neutral but I'm not averse to trying something new.
    My friend is about to try going back to mm & it just got me thinking too. I've read many reports of people actually missing the 'musicality' of these cartridges after 'moving up' to mc & so I'm picking your brains' boys.
    Obviously this isn't an urgent situation but intrigue's got the better of me.

I'm Nari.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    The (Decca) London 'Reference' works very well in the SME V.
    Great choice was thinking the same but was not sure of budget
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny nocash View Post

At the moment I'm using a transfiguration Pheonix S mc which I really like & still has a lot of life in it yet. I feel it's very neutral but I'm not averse to trying something new.
    Ooh ! That's a strange route to take, assuming your phono stage is doing your Phoenix justice. I should have mentioned in my post re. the VMS20E that my other arm has a Proteus on in. You have a very fine cart., and I'm sure you'll find a difference with a m.m., but probably not a step up. If you do go ahead, keep the Transfig. for when it goes back on again.

I'm Richard.

Sorry Mike I didn't explain properly. I'm in no rush to discard the Pheonix & my phono does do it justice.
    I'm considering alternatives for when it's coming to the end of its life. In all honesty, I don't feel I could justify the expense of an equivalent new MC cartridge these days so the MM has an obvious appeal. I know the cartridges already mentioned aren't cheap but they are in comparison.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny nocash View Post
    Sorry Mike I didn't explain properly. I'm in no rush to discard the Pheonix & my phono does do it justice.
    I'm considering alternatives for when it's coming to the end of its life. In all honesty, I don't feel I could justify the expense of an equivalent new MC cartridge these days so the MM has an obvious appeal. I know the cartridges already mentioned aren't cheap but they are in comparison.
    I believe the Transfiguration Proteus costs around £3,500 and the London Reference around £3,000.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast