So after a bit of a lul I've managed to source some correct drivers for this project from the USA (thanks Grant) and today plugged them in. Mind you a bit of a faff bringing stuff in from abroad what with import duties and Parcelfarce seemingly having a monopoly on imports. But no damage thankfully.

Immediately obvious that these speakers are something special. Full coherent sound across the range with great definition and punch. Played my usual array of test tracks and the IMF comes up trumps. No wilting around the edges and running away.

As the speakers have the active lines to boost the bass I played tones through it. And yes they do go low. Good tight sound at 30hz and improves from there. Obviously not bass that rocks the walls (and anyway only two 6 inch drivers) but nice bass. On the other extreme I could get to circa 15khz but nothing beyond that. But I assume that is more a factor of my hearing and/or the aged caps.

So now will ponder if I do a recap and wood restore. I think a recap will enhance the definition and open the sound up in a worthwhile way.

Although the baffles have screws it looks like they are solidly glued down as well so may be an issue of getting to the crossovers easily. The crossovers can be seen from the bottom bass driver but can't be retrieved without removing the baffle.

§