+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: IMF ALS30

I'm Edward.

So I found some time to look at the IMF ALS30 speakers properly. Unfortunately the bass drivers are both not working so I have started the return/refund process with the ebay seller.

Oh well. Big disappointment as I was looking forward to restoring the speakers to 'as new' condition.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Geoff.

That's a shame. They could have been fun, but it's the right move. You'd never locate proper replacement drivers and experimenting with alternatives would likely have only a moderate chance of success.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    So I found some time to look at the IMF ALS30 speakers properly. Unfortunately the bass drivers are both not working so I have started the return/refund process with the ebay seller.

Oh well. Big disappointment as I was looking forward to restoring the speakers to 'as new' condition.
    That is a shame Edward. Still you can take comfort in the other 36 pairs of speakers at Edwardo Towers!!
    Odd they would both have gone though?!
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    That is a shame Edward. Still you can take comfort in the other 36 pairs of speakers at Edwardo Towers!!
    Odd they would both have gone though?!
    Now now Adam lets not exaggerate - I make it 8 sets - approximately!

Each speaker has two bass drivers - as Lawrence mentioned earlier probably a surge of some sort.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    That's a shame. They could have been fun, but it's the right move. You'd never locate proper replacement drivers and experimenting with alternatives would likely have only a moderate chance of success.
    Yep. I did have a quick look in the usual places if anyone selling drivers but no luck. Also not clear from IMF original sources what bass drivers they used or the spec.

It is all a bit odd as it was immediately obvious that the bass was not working when I plugged them in but the seller marked the speakers as fully working.

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    My guess is amp blew up and put DC on its outputs. The crossover would have blocked the DC to the mid and tweeter but the bass units took the full force and the voice coils burned out.

Have you looked at the drivers and found they were open circuit?

Yep I think you probably right Andrew.

Yep open circuit.

Waiting for a response from the seller as a first step.

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    My guess is amp blew up and put DC on its outputs. The crossover would have blocked the DC to the mid and tweeter but the bass units took the full force and the voice coils burned out.

Have you looked at the drivers and found they were open circuit?
    Just a follow Andrew if I may? Is it possible for an amp to go DC only on one channel? What circumstances arise for an amp to go DC anyway?

cheers

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    Just a follow Andrew if I may? Is it possible for an amp to go DC only on one channel? What circumstances arise for an amp to go DC anyway?

cheers
    Dodgy cap?

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Dodgy cap?
    I guess so.

But this does bring up an important point. How can we protect our (for many expensive) speakers?

When I try out a new (old) amps or speakers I always use sacrificial speakers (or amp) until I know things are ok. So far so good - but one of these days something will not be good.

I'm Geoff.

I've never had an amp blow speakers, but I have had a couple of amps blow.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast