+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HDD USB Cable Upgrade?

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post
    The theory is that standard USB cables (freebies) also carry the 5v voltage line ... even if its not needed. Taking out that line means that any interference/noise carried by the power line disappears with it (or is reduced)
    How can line voltage noise be passed on via the DAC which is designed to decode a digital signal 1's & 0's, the sort of interference you're talking about could in my view affect the signal, but not in the way you describe, if the signal could be read you would hear fragmentation of the sound, you won't hear background noise like you do in an analog setup because the DAC can't decode it.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    How can line voltage noise be passed on via the DAC which is designed to decode a digital signal 1's & 0's, the sort of interference you're talking about could in my view affect the signal, but not in the way you describe, if the signal could be read you would hear fragmentation of the sound, you won't hear background noise like you do in an analog setup because the DAC can't decode it.
    Not my theory mate ....

I'm Simon.

The 5v line can have a negative effect on the dac, that's not in dispute. How a different USB cable could make a difference is in dispute. If you have a noisy 5v line fit an isolator, or break the 5v line in some way if its only needed for the initial handshake, fancy cables, silver plugs or whatever bolocks with have no effect, a filter or a switch will, could.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm James.

One should differentiate between a 'digital signal' and 'data'.

Normal SP/DIF cables and USB cables between a computer and a DAC are carrying a digital signal. This has a time domain component and is succeptible to jitter and interruption of the signal in the normal way. Obviously the degree to which your DAC is affected will depend on it's design and whether or not it employs a buffer.

A USB cable between an external hard drive and a computer is carrying data packets. There is error correction here and no time domain issue, only a complete loss of connection will be noticable. Data packets are NOT music, not until music player software turns them into a digital audio stream. Thus they are agnostic of the medium being used to carry them. If you think changing the USB cable between your hard drive and your PC will be audible.... it won't.
    Nottingham Analogue Spacedeck / Kuzma Stogi S / Benz Micro Ace S L
    Lenco L-75 / Carl Ellis Plinth / Ortofon AS-212 / Ortofon SPU Classic GM E MkII
    Ortofon ST-7 SUT / Nick G Modded Lentek Head Amp / Croft RIAA

Cambridge Audio CXU / Theta DS Pro Prime

Classé Model 30 / Luxman M-383

Usher Compass X-719

May contain opinions that others find disturbing.

I'm Martin.

Hi All. Thanks for all the responses to date.
    Just to clarify in this specific instance the HDD is connected directly to the streamer via the USB. The HDD is powered via the same cable (5v feed). Martin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12