+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HDD USB Cable Upgrade?

I'm Martin.

Default HDD USB Cable Upgrade?

Hi All, any thoughts on HDD USB Cable Upgrades? USB A Male to Micro USB B Male. Martin

I'm Simon.

What for is yours broken?
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Gary.

Naa..

makes no difference.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Martin.

Hi I just have a standard one that came with the drive. Had seen some chat about benefits of cable upgrades and was checking to see if there was substance behind it or just snake oil. M

I'm Gary.

Doesn't apply in this case,
    A more likely improvement is changing the power supply for your drive to a linear one.

Look at your psu, 2 figures to read off the label:
    Voltage and Amps.

Be (probably) 12 volts, 1.5 amps or summit like that.

With those figures, you can get a linear power supply to match.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Neil.

Having tried basic Belkin USB cables and compared them to Wireworld USB cables I did hear differences. That was PC to DAC and between drives to PC.

I use a loom of Wireworld between drive, PC and DAC.
    Regards Neil

I'm yigit.

I use wireworld starlight usb 3.0 between oppo and harddisk and it makes difference.

I'm Simon.

Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Mike.

The cable is carrying a digital signal right? so how can you hear any difference, to make any sonic difference to the sound the cable would literally have to add or subtract something to the code being transmitted, it's not analog so why people try to treat it in the same way is beyond me. My view is people like to think they hear a difference, especially when they've shelled out for an expensive new cable. The simple fact is that a cable for carrying digital signals will either work or not and a high quality cable will allow you carry the signal a bit bit further before the losses in the cable make the signal unreadable, but making the sound better in some way is total snake oil.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    The cable is carrying a digital signal right? so how can you hear any difference, to make any sonic difference to the sound the cable would literally have to add or subtract something to the code being transmitted, it's not analog so why people try to treat it in the same way is beyond me. My view is people like to think they hear a difference, especially when they've shelled out for an expensive new cable. The simple fact is that a cable for carrying digital signals will either work or not and a high quality cable will allow you carry the signal a bit bit further before the losses in the cable make the signal unreadable, but making the sound better in some way is total snake oil.

The theory is that standard USB cables (freebies) also carry the 5v voltage line ... even if its not needed. Taking out that line means that any interference/noise carried by the power line disappears with it (or is reduced)

I did try an Atlas USB cable once, (works pretty much on this principle) between PC and DAC and I was immediately struck by the improvement in sound quality ....
    ... the next day I tried an 'off the shelf' bog-standard and cheap Belkin cable in the place .... and was immediately struck by the improvement in sound quality

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast