+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bake Off At Mine

I'm Martin.

My EE is a whiz even with CD players, pretty confident he'll get it back working properly and it should be fine for a long time then.

We could have used it for the bake off as we only played tracks not whole albums, which it still does fine, but it was cutting out at the same time point on every album so the problem should be easy to isolate at least.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Good stuff, chaps!

Sorry I couldn't attend, as my car was (still is) in getting 'pimped' with a new stereo, otherwise I'd have dropped by. Next time you have a shindig, give me a shout.

Also sorry to hear about your Technics CDP, Martin. Not the most reliable of things, are they? They sound great when they're working, though!

Some interesting conclusions reached... Certainly a good result for the Spotfire. Nice when something you've built yourself turns up trumps. I'm settled with the cables I'm using now, but it's always nice to know of something else that's worthwhile recommending.

Yes, the Krell is rather good. I enjoyed listening to it last time I was at Martin's, and I agree on the traits you've described. Not heard a Monarchy for years, so it's interesting that it can live with the Krell in many areas.

So, am I also right in thinking that the DCB1 was preferred to Martin's passive, by both Martin and you, and that the latter was considered as sounding a little soft? If so, then it confirms what I was saying recently here about the 'softness' of passives compared with a really good active.

Anyway, glad you guys had a good time and discovered some new things, which collectively is what these meets are all about!

Marco.
    From a personal perspective, I felt the DCB1 was better (you would I hear you cry!!)

The DCB1 had better definition, better delineation of the soundstage and seemed to be quicker and I got a sense of energy from ZZ top that was missing from the SA preamp. The SA preamp on the other hand sounded lazy and that defined positioning of the performers that was clearly apparent with the DCB1, disappeared completely when the SA preamp went back in.

As I said, Macca felt some "wallop" returned when the SA preamp went back in but I felt it was colouration and the bass was under less control. The grip had gone to a degree.

The SA preamp certainly improved when the SPOTFIRE went in and the SA preamp got a lot better. Definition improved and that energy returned a little. Unfortunately we didn't get the DCB1 back in either the SPOTFIRE and I feel that would have made things more apparent.

On review, the SA preamp with SPOTFIRE is a combination that I enjoyed. The foot tapped and the head nodded. It's not a bad pre by any stretch.

Like all things hifi, it's only my opinion and as I said to Macca, it's his system, his choice. Neither opinion can be wrong, just different.

More importantly, I had a great time and really loved hearing the Krell again. The speakers are sublime too.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

The amusing thing from my point of view is I was expecting the big revelation to be the DB1 but instead it was the interconnect cables.

I did have some reservations about the DB1 but I'd rather have a longer time to evaluate it before I'll commit to saying for certain. But I thought a couple of times I could hear a little distortion in the bass. Only twice and slight enough to be questionable. I am thinking about getting one to experiment further, so it wasn't that I wasn't impressed. It has potential.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    In all fairness, Jim, the SPOTFIRE were very noticeable. I made a comment elsewhere on the forum, that Interconnects can have as much influence as changing a component. That was scoffed at yet today Macca's comments confirmed what I already knew.

The incumbent cables were purchased to match other components from the same brand.

I would hardly say scoffed at. For a cable to have a massive difference, the one it replaces has to be pretty crap.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

Bigman80 Guest

Nope, it was scoffed at or at the very least dismissed.

And no, are you telling me you couldn't hear the improvement between a Sony ES amplifier and your Firebottle stuff? Neither are crap, but the improvements are noticeable. Same as with a cable. That's the point I was making. The changes are comparable with changing a component.

For a cable to make a difference of that level, the system need to be capable of displaying it. Macca's is.

Also the same comment made by Macca without any prompting. From a cable sceptic too!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    I would hardly say scoffed at. For a cable to have a massive difference, the one it replaces has to be pretty crap.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    Lets not get ahead of ourselves here. I never said 'massive' difference. There was a pretty obvious difference which I know from experience would deteriorate to a tiny difference in an unsighted comparison. But there was still a difference for me and it was a good one.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Gary.

Music is an emotional experiece, therefore hifi quality is subjective.
    ”That” song heard in the car that really affected you...your brain did that.

The guy heard what he heard (or felt?) at the time..

s’all good.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post

s’all good.
    +1

Good post Garry.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post

s’all good.
    I agree, But I don't just own a decent transistor radio with a good 'tone' , and neither do you.- I like the fun involved in getting it technically better than that even though I acknowledge that 'Brown Sugar' is a killer stone groove no matter what's replaying it.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I acknowledge that 'Brown Sugar' is a killer stone groove no matter what's replaying it.
    So is 'Drive in Saturday' by Bowie.

(actually, I've got a mate called Tone who's got a decent transistor radio, true)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast