+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody here own or heard a CTC Garrard Classic 301?

I'm Nick.

Default Anybody here own or heard a CTC Garrard Classic 301?

OK they are 3k (for a deck without plinth or arm etc) but they do look lovely...

Made by Classic Turntable Company in the UK, seems like a modern re-build of a classic 301 from the ground up, allegedly incorporating 'the strengths of the 401'.

Does anyone here own one, or could comment on the CTC 301 v a restored vintage Garrard?

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by nickbaba View Post
    OK they are 3k (for a deck without plinth or arm etc) but they do look lovely...

Made by Classic Turntable Company in the UK, seems like a modern re-build of a classic 301 from the ground up, allegedly incorporating 'the strengths of the 401'.

Does anyone here own one, or could comment on the CTC 301 v a restored vintage Garrard?
    Can't comment on your exact question Nick, but I’ve had dealings with Ray at classic TT co, he really knows his Stuff.
    Russ Collinson (The talented carpenter & plinth maker) I believe has one of his new chassis 301s. Worth an email.

I spoke with Ray at great lengths regarding this very TT you ask of, and it’s hard not to see the benefits of such a well thought out, well engineered quality one piece reworked cast chassis. I think the chassis is about £1k then of course
    The motor, plinth and arm will indeed mount up.
    Anyway a very good chap to deal with and if you contact him would probably point you at working examples out there.
    Personally I opted a different route of sourcing a good first run 401 and having Ray service and paint it in hammer tone grey and then Had Russ build me a beautiful plinth. Didn’t regret it.
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Andrew.

He lives 2 miles from my house, still not been to say hello!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    He lives 2 miles from my house, still not been to say hello!
    You should drop him a visit. He’s very interesting and loves his TTs

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm mark.

I've heard one briefly, and would have one if it cropped up at the right price.

Much like rebuilt cars, probably performs better than an original, but it'll never be original/vintage.

Originality is a personal thing, I've seen refurbished ones (particularly cream repainted grey) get put down by purists on FB groups I'm on, yet refinished 'Grails' get heralded by the same people... we're a funny bunch

I'm Nick.

Interesting! Sadly I'm further away, down south... but I will definitely give Ray a call for a chat.

As you say, there is also the option of getting hold of a decent 401 somewhere and asking Ray to service it and install his modern chassis... Depending on cost of the 401 that could save 1k or so...
    I'd like to ask him about the differences between going this route and a full 'off-the-shelf' CTC Classic 301. I'm guessing the CTC 301 would also have a modern platter and bearing?

I'm Adam.

Yes CTC classic 301 comes with a new bearing and heavy oversized platter.
    I think you’ll probably find it has the sound signature of a good Garrard idler but with any
    Perceived weaknesses addressed. I would imagine it would be a final end game idler TT.
    Looks bloody lovely to boot!

Location: Out on the wild and windy moors Lancs / Yorks Border

I'm Andy.

Rays a cracking bloke, he is fairly local to me and I dropped my 301 into him for a service which he did prompty without any drama. He enjoys a good old chinwag too so be prepared for a long chat. I saw and heard his CTC 301 whilst there, but very briefly and certainly not long enough to make any judgement against a restored original other than to say it seemed very even handed offering the good things an idler drive seems to offer in terms of boogie and drive.
    Analogue
    401 / PU7 / AT33ev
    Longdog Audio Quartz turntable PSU
    Longdog Audio MCJ1 - Prototype Phonostage
    Digital
    Innuos Zen Mini Mk 3
    Topping D50s
    Caiman Seg & Dorado
    Cambridge CXC
    Amps
    Tron Seven Linestage
    Bel Canto Set 40 or Nick Gorham built 300B Set Monoblocks
    Speakers
    Tannoy GRF Memory.
    Tannoy ST100.

I'm Nick.

Well Ray seems to have gone to ground - doesn't seem to be answering his mobile, landline or his email...?

I'm Patrick.

Maybe he's on holiday? He refurbished my 301 a couple of years ago and ISTR that he spends some time abroad.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast