+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Adventures into turntable differences (or how to become a NURD!)

I'm Neil.

Curious as to who the Watford Dealer is ? I guess its Unique Audio.
    Regards Neil

I'm Nari.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Curious as to who the Watford Dealer is ? I guess its Unique Audio.
    Yes Mik at Unique Audio he was around 17 back in 1993 I think, a friend recommended him who had been dealing with him since he was 14 crazy young age to be selling hifi. Unique Audio was based in Neasden working from he grandmothers house at the time. His place is like an aladin's cave these days all sorts of crazy esoterica. I am always scared to visit as its always tempting as he has so many rare and wonderful bits he never lists. I always tell him he is his biggest customer as he is very attached to alot of the gear.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Vrajbasi View Post
    Yes Mik at Unique Audio he was around 17 back in 1993 I think, a friend recommended him who had been dealing with him since he was 14 crazy young age to be selling hifi. Unique Audio was based in Neasden working from he grandmothers house at the time. His place is like an aladin's cave these days all sorts of crazy esoterica. I am always scared to visit as its always tempting as he has so many rare and wonderful bits he never lists. I always tell him he is his biggest customer as he is very attached to alot of the gear.
    Interesting.
    Regards Neil

I'm Nari.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Interesting.
    Neil you have a fine collection of turntables and tonearms spoilt for choice
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm Deleted.

I’m nod a big fan of high mass platters like the Orbe uses and have also heard that the Gyro platter sound better. The Orbe platter has, in my opinion, a slightly recessed presence range and this makes it sound more powerful in the bass. I don’t think the actual quality of the bass is as good though. You will also find that exactly how much you tighten the clamp makes a big difference....
    Account Deleted

I'm John.

As you have some time on your hands to tweak the arm alignment, another choice of set up worth consideration is which cartridge/arm alignment geometry to go for. There are printable Protractor Downloads available.
    The different philosophies will have varying influences on how the stylus performs in the groove.
    Taking the time to set up a geometry that appeals to you the most, can be a worthwhile exercise.
    I was in attendance, when I had this exercise carried out for me recently by another AoS Member, and I found it very satisfactory, insightful and rewarding.
    The chosen geometry for my cartridge/arm, is now stored as a, Laminated, Print of the Protractor.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    I’m nod a big fan of high mass platters like the Orbe uses and have also heard that the Gyro platter sound better. The Orbe platter has, in my opinion, a slightly recessed presence range and this makes it sound more powerful in the bass. I don’t think the actual quality of the bass is as good though. You will also find that exactly how much you tighten the clamp makes a big difference....
    Yes I had heard that too, but now I have paid attention to the SME arm setup, it definitely does not have a recessed presence, maybe the Cusis cartridge is doing its magic here. I have noticed that having the clamp reasonably tight does improve soundstage and definition. I found with the Gyrodec platter that the bass was there but not as deep or detailed, it definitely improved with the Orbe platter, for instance the bass on Hugh Masekela is better defined and come across clearer in the mix, and tonally the drums on the Ravi Shankar are better. Im listening to Alan Parsons - Pyramid - In the Lap of the Gods at the moment and the bell and organ crash sound great.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
    As you have some time on your hands to tweak the arm alignment, another choice of set up worth consideration is which cartridge/arm alignment geometry to go for. There are printable Protractor Downloads available.
    The different philosophies will have varying influences on how the stylus performs in the groove.
    Taking the time to set up a geometry that appeals to you the most, can be a worthwhile exercise.
    I was in attendance, when I had this exercise carried out for me recently by another AoS Member, and I found it very satisfactory, insightful and rewarding.
    The chosen geometry for my cartridge/arm, is now stored as a, Laminated, Print of the Protractor.

Thanks for the advice, I have the SME arm protractor, but I will look into the setup for a Micro Benz Glider S which is the basis of my Cusis cartridge. I will have a search on the net to see what I can find out. If you can advise where I can find one that would be great?

Thanks for the advise.

Adrian
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Vrajbasi View Post
    Mik certainly has a persuasive way with him, but what I really like is his passion for music, he really helped me get the best I could for my money even though I was probably at the lower range of gear that he sells. His recommendation of the cartridge and the LFD phono-stage was a very good one, as to my ears I have a very musically sounding system. It rarely disappoints, although if I put on a bad record then it is quite unforgiving as it plays what is there. Mik has some lovely equipment and I found it very interesting to listen to his top end system.

Regards,

Adrian

I'm Nari.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Mik certainly has a persuasive way with him, but what I really like is his passion for music, he really helped me get the best I could for my money even though I was probably at the lower range of gear that he sells. His recommendation of the cartridge and the LFD phono-stage was a very good one, as to my ears I have a very musically sounding system. It rarely disappoints, although if I put on a bad record then it is quite unforgiving as it plays what is there. Mik has some lovely equipment and I found it very interesting to listen to his top end system.

Regards,

Adrian
    I own a Modified LFD battery disc preamp its been through many revisions and vast amounts of dosh I love it to bits its one of my most loved bits of kit.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast