+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 58 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: The Most Beautiful and Ugliest Turntables

I'm Geoff.

Micro Seiki turned out some turntables I thought were gorgeous.

This is the BL-111. Lovely looking thing.

The strange 'arch' in the front is a reflection I think.

I'm Nari.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post

The strange 'arch' in the front is a reflection I think.
    They certainly did and each model had its own charm my 8000 mk2 is not as pretty though.
    Last edited by Vrajbasi; 06-09-2018 at 06:01.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm Nari.

I like the look of the Kuzma stabi xl I had the xl4 with four motors which looses its shape, the newer XL DC is good looking in my opinion.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm Martin.

Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Paul.

I think that Clearaudio produce some very nice looking turntables. The higher end statement models I don’t care for much as they are just too big and look like some impractical drinks trolley. Some of the smaller ones with all that satin aluminium, Panzerholz and acyrilic are lovely in my eyes.
    ~Paul~

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    B&O 4000 tt was one of the best looking I Suppose the transcriptor or whatever it was, in the movie a clockwork orange, was one of the most iconic
    I'd agree about the B&O decks of that era, on grounds of simple, elegant design and beauty, if not ultimate sound quality! In today's market, the Technics SP-10R copies without shame its predecessors' looks and I think is about as far as anyone needs to go in terms of cost, looks and function.

There are plenty of ugly decks around, both old and new. Any old EMT deck, for me, fits naturally in the (f)ugly category and you'd have to be resolutely single or have a very understanding partner to have one in the house rather than in a broadcast studio. I'll disagree with Barry over the TD-124 - lovely sounding, functional and refreshingly compact thing, but beautiful? Maybe beautiful like a well looked after Morris Minor but not exactly B&O!

Any turntable that needs a fork lift truck to install is never goping to float my aesthetic boat, but the Acoustical Systems Apolyt adds sheer and perhaps inconvenient bulk to shocking ugliness, narrowly pipping the 'oil rig' range-topping Clearaudio decks for my 'raspberry' prize:

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post

Wot, like a baboon's backside?

This is unusual, Geoff, because you and I often have quite similar tastes, but although it'll undoubtedly be a great turntable and superbly built, it looks like puke!

Why? Because I HATE BLING!! Especially that shiny 'faux-rosewood' look, combined with a gold platter, which for some inexplicable reason, the Japs seem to love

It's hi-fi for hairy-chested medallion men... Anyway, do carry on

Marco.

P.S I like the arm!
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Ah, now we're talking....

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post
    Stylish, clean, distinctive lines, and you can just about get away with the gold platter, as it sets off the silver nicely (plus, the satin finish nullifies the bling).... Sexy!

The challenge would be finding the right plinth to set it off.... Solid ebony, with a block of aluminium, machined to the same finish as the rest of the turntable, sandwiched in between the wood, perhaps? Dunno...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Timothy.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post

I always have loved these B&O's as well, lovely looking things in my eyes.
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

Yes, but very 70s! Not a bad thing though, in the right setting... The top one's the nicest looking, IMO (perhaps because the record sets it off more)

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 58 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast