+ Reply to Thread
Page 55 of 58 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 ... LastLast

Thread: The Most Beautiful and Ugliest Turntables

I'm Gary.

AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Karl.

Default The Most Beautiful and Ugliest Turntables

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Did he build it? His avatar shows a Sondek. Anyway, I can't 'unsay' what I said, which was what I thought!
    Yes I did. I know the bubinga veneer isn’t to everyone’s choice and that’s all good, but apart from that , it looks this way because I’ve put a lot of thought into the design and every aspect serves a good purpose. The classic turntable 301 looks how it looks, can’t do anything about that, but beautiful in my opinion , as does the Tenuto Mat and the track audio isolation feet. Both highly regarded parts and incredibly well engineered. I also like the ideas behind articulating panzer armboards and a high mass panzerholz plinths which is what I chose. The whole Thing weighs about 35-40kg . Ive also added removeable armboard isolation to see how that works. The Reed arm speaks for itself ,it is a stunning piece of kit . Might not be everyone’s cuppa tea visually but I’d put it against anything out there performance wise and it wouldn’t get brushed aside
    Last edited by Bigbird; 09-05-2020 at 00:09.
    CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    dont blame ya, why not ....
    Cheers rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Presumably because Karl likes it looking that way.
    Correct mate. And a lot of thought has gone into the design and parts .

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbird View Post
    Always one idiot that can’t stop themselves being nasty.

No one is being deliberately nasty Karl, it wasn't clear in your post that this was your own creation. I'm sure you'll agree that the looks, while beautifully finished, are a bit 'out there', and so will polarise opinion. For every person that wouldn't give it house room, there'll be another that wants you to make one for them
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    No one is being deliberately nasty Karl, it wasn't clear in your post that this was your own creation. I'm sure you'll agree that the looks, while beautifully finished, are a bit 'out there', and so will polarise opinion. For every person that wouldn't give it house room, there'll be another that wants you to make one for them
    Doesn’t really matter who created it. If you don’t like it keep your trap shut and move on unless you wanna discuss the pros and cons of the parts used . I don’t ever judge things in such a horribly vocal way because one mans trash is another mans treasure and all that. He hasn’t heard it which is the important part and trust me this is VERY special. looks are indeed a personal choice but this is definitely not that out there, it’s just a 301 in a grainy wooden plinth . The Tenuto and brass weight is a bit blingy but that’s it. Take them away it’s perfectly fine, Anyway I couldn’t give a rats arse got more important things to worry about like having a beer and spinning some tunes . Cheers

I'm Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    I'm sorry but I have to agree with macca and walp, I don't care who built it, each person is surely allowed 'their' opinion.

Why would you say you liked something just because you knew the owner or builder, that's not right surely?

I think it looks terrible, but then again I think my turntable looks terrible too, mind you I didn't buy it for the looks. But who cares, if you like it then that's for you to decide no one else, love it and enjoy it I say, who cares wtf anyone else thinks

Edit: have to say as well that this is a thread for ugly as well as beautiful, and a very many on here are pretty fugly and would never get house room here
    Absolutely I’m all for opinion and debate just not in the way that was expressed which wasn’t very graceful.

There’s ways of wording things !

If you don’t like the CTC 301 , fine tell me why and what experiences brought you to that conclusion.

If you don’t like panzerholz plinths or figured veneers , great let’s discuss your reasoning.

If your not a fan of Reed arms ,track audio feet ,the Art 9 or the Tenuto mat then I’m happy to here you out.

But to rudely shit on something Somebody has worked hard to put together ain’t on .

As you say these things divide opinion as always and people have their own tastes but people need to be mindful of their choice of words they use to reply.

As I said earlier I really don’t care if you like it or not , it’s me that has to live with it. What I do mind is of your a knob about it .

Cheers

Karl

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbird View Post
    Doesn’t really matter who created it. If you don’t like it keep your trap shut and move on unless you wanna discuss the pros and cons of the parts used . I don’t ever judge things in such a horribly vocal way because one mans trash is another mans treasure and all that. He hasn’t heard it which is the important part and trust me this is VERY special. looks are indeed a personal choice but this is definitely not that out there, it’s just a 301 in a grainy wooden plinth . The Tenuto and brass weight is a bit blingy but that’s it. Take them away it’s perfectly fine, Anyway I couldn’t give a rats arse got more important things to worry about like having a beer and spinning some tunes . Cheers

Take a look at the thread title and ask yourself what sort of comments you would expect posting a picture in this thread? The thread is about aesthetics of turntables, not how they sound.

It may sound divine but that's not the topic of this thread. I find it aesthetically displeasing. I don't like the proportions, I don't like the veneer and I don't like the gold bling. If you look back through this thread you will see plenty of positive and negative comments about the appearance of the decks that are pictured because that's what this thread is about!

Had you posted it in the DIY section and said 'look what I built' then I would have course have 'kept my trap shut.' But you didn't, you put it up for aesthetic evaluation and you got some.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

You didn't indicate that it was your turntable Karl, your avatar showed a Linn at the time. As far as any of us may have been aware, the photo you showed could just have been an image grabbed from the internet. The title of the thread invites comments on beautiful and ugly turntables, so if you feel sensitive about what might be said, perhaps this was not the best choice of thread for your particular post. As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Your required name needs to be shown in your profile.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 55 of 58 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 ... LastLast