+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 58 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: The Most Beautiful and Ugliest Turntables

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Here ya go:

Yes, those appeal, but can sometimes look a little 'cluttered' with multiple arms attached!

Marco.
    Very kind of you, and I now realise that I meant the AC1; sorry 'bout that. Yes, the 3 does indeed look cluttered (and does it REALLY need three strong motors?)

I'm Nari.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    Very kind of you, and I now realise that I meant the AC1; sorry 'bout that. Yes, the 3 does indeed look cluttered (and does it REALLY need three strong motors?)
    I like the multiple arm bit as great for someone like me who likes to experiment with tonearms, as this thread about decks beautiful that does not count as its certainly not that. I had the black night at home some time back and its no doubt an amazing deck superb build etc,I overall found it a bit bright for my taste and a little dry I really wanted to buy it but overall not to my liking as the saying goes you pays your monies etc. The raven decks have never appealed to me but then I have a Sme all be it with a non Sme tonearm, and many have a love hate thing with Sme turntables. Interesting not a single sme pic on this thread
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    There's an elegant simplicity to some of the Luxman turntables that I like a lot

The Lux was one of my choices (to be precise the PD121 (for 12" arms) or the PD131 (for 9" arms)).

Referring back to the Braun TTs, whilst I admire their Bauhaus styling, I do prefer the look of TTs that have a shallow plinth, for example the Lux above, the Thorens 125 and the Linn LP12. Unfortunately shallow plinths means small motors, so one is largely obliged to consider DD.
    Barry

I'm Andy.

One of my all time fav's is the Orbe (sorry Marco - acrylic) - I admin the Gyro does look better but I always hankered for the Orbe.

Main system:
    Analogue.
    Michell Orbe with arm decoupling kit & Pete's Pylons. SME V arm, Denon DL103M (FGS), Firebottle OPT MKII phono amp
    Technic SP-10 in Obsidian plinth, AT1010 PMAC v8b arm, Goldring Elite MC Cart and BB3 Phono Amp
    Leak Lenco GL75 with Ortofon OM10 cartridge
    Technics RS-BX404 Cassette Deck
    Network Player.
    Raspberry PI plus R2-R DAC (also used as a CD player) plus Pi NAS Server
    Digital.
    Philips DCC 730 player
    Marantz CD50SE
    Amp.
    Audiolab 8000A
    Speakers.
    Reiver Jenna floor standers
    HeadPhones.
    Sennheiser HD545 Ref, HD600, HD477

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by speedracer View Post
    I don't disagree with any of that Marco, but I feel that if I want to criticise something I have a responsibility to articulate why I am doing the criticising it, either from a functionality or design point of view.
    I am an ex graphic designer & now an artist so that probably explains where I am coming from, I don't think that just blurting out "I don't like that & that is my opinion" goes far enough, but if you can describe the reasons you don't like it then everyone learns something & it becomes positive not negative.
    Articulating why you like something is quite difficult, whether it is the visual arts, music, audio gear, clothing, styling of cars, or as we are discussing here, turntables.

As some would say: "I don't know much about art, but I know what I like". So to with the appearance of audio gear.

It also admits inconsistency - in my case I find the appearance of much of B&O gear beautiful for example, yet I'm attracted to the industrial/laboratory look of a lot of professional audio gear. Again some more inconsistency: I love the look of EMT gear, yet strongly dislike the look of QRK/Rusco/RekOKut designs.

So no accounting for taste.
    Barry

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by gninnam View Post
    One of my all time fav's is the Orbe (sorry Marco - acrylic) - I admin the Gyro does look better but I always hankered for the Orbe.

Bit of a red herring this but the aluminium chassis for both the Gyro and the Orbe is likely to have been made at my workplace as we cast said item for Michel Engineering

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    The Lux was one of my choices (to be precise the PD121 (for 12" arms) or the PD131 (for 9" arms)).
    Ah yes, so it was. The stretch limo version.

I had to go back and check your first posting as I missed the Luxman amongst all the hideous clunkers that you also posted under your "ugly" heading (all of which I do agree with, mind). I have to say that the stretchy one is the worst looking Luxman tt I have ever seen. That vast expanse of bare top to accommodate the longer arm is ludicrous to my eye. Most 12 inch arm turntables strike me that way. I do understand the technical benefits of the longer arm, though.
    I think we are just going to have to agree to differ on a lot of the aesthetic stuff, Barry.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Vrajbasi View Post
    I was never a fan of the Rock 7 I actually purchased one for a bit of fun not very well made I had to get a replacement twice, I liked the Rock V though I should have bought one as not many were made.
    Glad I opted for the Michell deck now!
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Vrajbasi View Post
    I like the multiple arm bit as it's great for someone like me who likes to experiment with tonearms, ...
    A.f.a.I.k, the Raven only takes two, as does my Dais, though there are some decks which can accommodate more than two, as 'multiple' suggests (to me). If my experience with trying to set-up cart's properly on my rear arm is anything to go by, taking the alternative route of detachable head-shells seems tempting. Mind you, good eyesight would help ! Those underslung styli and another arm in the physical and visual way make for real p.i.t.a procedures..

Surely a high-end version of the Dansette style turnover cart. is long overdue.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Here's an interesting implementation of a DP80

My ptp lenco was shaped like the top layer of that
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 58 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast