+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 58 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: The Most Beautiful and Ugliest Turntables

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Lol.... It's truly amazing how tastes differ!

Firstly, I like the VPI - always have, because it's engineered to be a proper turntable, and I like the looks. However, things go sharply downhill from there....

Sorry, that shiny-wood plinthed cream 301 is an abomination (love the T/T hate that finish or that type of plinth). The one on the LP12 is a little better, but still not my thing [sorry Karl]. Why does everything have to be so fooking shiny - are you all closet magpies?

And I simply can't join in the 'B&O love-in', as those flimsy, tinny looking platters with plastic bits on them, I presume acting as a 'mat', and toy-town looking tonearms, are gross in the extreme, and the only reason I'd fish one out of a skip would be to give to Adam as a gift!

As you were

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lol.... It's truly amazing how tastes differ!

Firstly, I like the VPI - always have, because it's engineered to be a proper turntable, and I like the looks. However, things go sharply downhill from there....

Sorry, that shiny-wood plinthed cream 301 is an abomination (love the T/T hate that finish or that type of plinth). The one on the LP12 is a little better, but still not my thing [sorry Karl]. Why does everything have to be so fooking shiny - are you all closet magpies?

And I simply can't join in the 'B&O love-in', as those flimsy, tinny looking platters with plastic bits on them, I presume acting as a 'mat', and toy-town looking tonearms, are gross in the extreme, and the only reason I'd fish one out of a skip would be to give to Adam as a gift!

As you were

Marco.
    Haha well my name is Bigbird..
    i dont like piano gloss myself , thats too blingy/shiny for me, i think i just like the vintage wooden vibe.
    My plinth is far more natural looking in real life than the pictures would suggest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm Grant.

I didn't realise the macintosh was a real deck. I thought it a photoshop mockup It's hideous and deserves to be a bad mockup.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbird View Post
    Haha well my name is Bigbird..
    i dont like piano gloss myself , thats too blingy/shiny for me, i think i just like the vintage wooden vibe.
    My plinth is far more natural looking in real life than the pictures would suggest.
    Lol - I don't doubt it. What I like most about your plinth is the lovely wood grain, and there's no doubt that it's quality. I'd just prefer more of a matt finish, and probably a lighter wood. I generally prefer LP12s in something like light oak or ash:

For me, that looks fabulous, as I like simple, clean lines, and nothing too 'fussy'. I've also always loved the look (and sound) of an Ittok. It's just beautifully engineered and finished, and substantially built, unlike those flimsy tin rods, posing as 'tonearms', on the B&O [sorry, Jerry and Adam!]

It also has a proper platter......

Oh, and this is yer man for the highest quality, most beautiful looking plinths for Garrard 301/401s, TD124s, SP10s, and such like: https://www.artisanfidelity.com/gallery-turntables/

Check out his gallery! Yes, some of the plinths are shiny, but they're rather more tastefully done than most

This is about the nicest implementation of an SP10 I've ever seen:

If you're going to have a shiny/bling mat or platter, copper is just *so* much more attractive than gold!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    I didn't realise the macintosh was a real deck. I thought it a photoshop mockup It's hideous and deserves to be a bad mockup.
    It's actually a mackup

I'm Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lol - I don't doubt it. What I like most about your plinth is the lovely wood grain, and there's no doubt that it's quality. I'd just prefer more of a matt finish, and probably a lighter wood. I generally prefer LP12s in something like light oak or ash:

For me, that looks fabulous, as I like simple, clean lines, and nothing too 'fussy'. I've also always loved the look (and sound) of an Ittok. It's just beautifully engineered and finished, and substantially built, unlike those flimsy tin rods, posing as 'tonearms', on the B&O [sorry, Jerry and Adam!]

It also has a proper platter......

Oh, and this is yer man for the highest quality, most beautiful looking plinths for Garrard 301/401s, TD124s, SP10s, and such like: https://www.artisanfidelity.com/gallery-turntables/

Check out his gallery! Yes, some of the plinths are shiny, but they're rather more tastefully done than most

This is about the nicest implementation of an SP10 I've ever seen:

If you're going to have a shiny/bling mat or platter, copper is just *so* much more attractive than gold!

Marco.
    The grain is what drew me to mine, it has so much character and i wanted something unique. But those oak linn plinths are real beauties too. Id have been happy with either. I know what you mean about the Ittok, they are proper solid arms. Iv heard they do a test at the linn factory and if anybody can bend the armtube on one then they get a free arm as a prize. Nobody has yet managed it. So that says a lot about the engineering. I personally just felt that ultimately it lost out slightly to Nima in performance so i went for that. Shame its such an ugly little bugger. Oh well cant have everything.
    funny enough Marco ive been looking at the artisan fidelity 401s this afternoon and watching their youtube vids. They are absolutely stunning. All of there work is second to none.
    Alas, when i found out they were 15,000 bucks i quickly scurried off back to my nest to count my collection of tin foil and shiny chocolate wrappers and realised i was well off the mark so i will have to keep dreaming . Haha.

CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm Grant.

The grain is what drew me to mine, it has so much character and i wanted something unique. But those oak linn plinths are real beauties too. Id have been happy with either. I know what you mean about the Ittok, they are proper solid arms. Iv heard they do a test at the linn factory and if anybody can bend the armtube on one then they get a free arm as a prize. Nobody has yet managed it. So that says a lot about the engineering. I personally just felt that ultimately it lost out slightly to Nima in performance so i went for that. Shame its such an ugly little bugger. Oh well cant have everything.
    funny enough Marco ive been looking at the artisan fidelity 401s this afternoon and watching their youtube vids. They are absolutely stunning. All of there work is second to none.
    Alas, when i found out they were 15,000 bucks i quickly scurried off back to my nest to count my collection of tin foil and shiny chocolate wrappers and realised i was well off the mark so i will have to keep dreaming . Haha.

yup, that works ...think the plainness of the deck makes it work
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    yup, that works ...think the plainness of the deck makes it work
    Agreed, its a lovely contrast to the ebony veneer. Best get saving for my next project then

I'm Grant.

nice arm too, with the half black tube
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

The grain is what drew me to mine, it has so much character and i wanted something unique. But those oak linn plinths are real beauties too. Id have been happy with either.
    Yup, the grain is lovely. What I find is that lighter-wood plinths tend to show off the arm and platter more, with less tendency for the constituent parts of the turntable to homogenise into an indistinct whole, and if the platter and/or arm are worth looking at, as was the case in my example, then it has served its purpose!

I know what you mean about the Ittok, they are proper solid arms. Iv heard they do a test at the linn factory and if anybody can bend the armtube on one then they get a free arm as a prize. Nobody has yet managed it. So that says a lot about the engineering. I personally just felt that ultimately it lost out slightly to Nima in performance so i went for that. Shame its such an ugly little bugger. Oh well cant have everything.
    Ha - I'm impressed you ultimately chose sound before looks! However, I'm intimately familiar with the sound of the Nima (and Aro), and they both major at what unipivots do well (detail and flow), and both are very musical sounding devices.

They tend to have a lighter, 'airier' touch with music, than a higher-mass gimballed arm, such as the Ittok, which is more 'grounded' and majors on bass authoriity/depth, together with an infectious tunefulness and 'rhythmic alacrity', especially when partnered with Linn's own MC cartridges, and which is the type of presentation I prefer.

Well, I didn't say they were affordable!

Still, you can see the sheer quality of the workmanship, which for me is second to none. It's definitely where my money would go (in conjunction with one of the direct-drive or idler motor-units in question), instead of on some blinged-up to buggery, so-called 'high-end' turntable with a 'desirable badge', which often sell for FAR more!!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 58 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast