+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 58 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: The Most Beautiful and Ugliest Turntables

I'm Retief.

Quote Originally Posted by Vrajbasi View Post
    Nice looking linn I love the plinth I was was forever swapping Linn LP12's in my younger years must have owned around 7 of them the best sounding to my ears are always the early ones. I have to say my linn lp12 aro vdh grasshopper in early 90s was rather nice. I always liked the lp12 aro in many ways.
    I just like the understated, classic look of the Linns, I have a 1984 model with the fluted plinth, but this one built up by one of our members looks very tasty in particular

At the risk of upsetting a number of our members, but I'm not keen on the look of the Notts analogue decks. They just look like they sound dull/dead even though I know they don't and that they are indeed excellent decks. Just no sex appeal on my scale unfortunately

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Retief
    Analogue: Origin Live Resolution mk2,OL Encounter mk3c,MM III and isolator.Digital:CA 840C.Amplification:Croft RIAA R, Icon Audio LA4mkii,Icon Audio MB845 signature version.Speakers: Kef Reference 203/2 Cables: Mark Grant G2000HD. Speaker cable Van Damme Hi-Fi UP-LCOFC.Headphone: Grado PS1000,HD650,HD600,Icon Audio HP8 RCM DIY Moth

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    Any thoughts on the TX-1000? No faux rosewood in sight!
    Lol...! Yes, I love it - perhaps the ultimate 'boy's toy', but with Lexus standards of engineering. However..... Sonically, it was outperformed by one of these, which I heard back to back in the same system:

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lol...! Yes, I love it - perhaps the ultimate 'boy's toy', but with Lexus standards of engineering. However..... Sonically, it was outperformed by one of these, which I heard back to back in the same system:

Marco.
    Another deck I'd definately have, thanks for the pic
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm gone.

Yeah, let's put the two Brauns together, to compare...

PS-500:

And the DPCS5:

Yup, whilst I love both, I much prefer the more solid, 'industrial' look of the DPC55. I suspect it would also be the better sounding of the two. The arm on the DPC55, for me, also looks superior.

What do other folks think?

Marco.

They are both fugly as hell as far as I am concerned.

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by Smegger68 View Post
    The 'Bodge' is of interest to me. Mine makes a ton of static feedback noise and I'm pretty sure this is the cause. I unsoldered the old DIN connector and soldered a pair of phonos onto the connector board and reconnected it - cue the huge feedback. As far as I can work out I should maybe disconnect one of the 2 grounds as they are wired in common? Or not. What did you do to get yours working?
    Not had any problems like that so no idea what might be causing it

On mine I removed the (non-original) connecting strip bodge that linked the 'old' grey wire to the 'new' blue one and made the connection directly to the tonearm wires in the tin box where the grey wire originated. Without looking again at the precise wiring I can't say for certain but from memory I simply replicated the solder connections used by the grey wire I removed. Looking at the wiring diagram in the PS 500 Manual it would seem that the two ground wires are linked in the box anyway.

If you want I can post the diagram into a separate thread ...

I'm gone.

There's an elegant simplicity to some of the Luxman turntables that I like a lot

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post

They are both fugly as hell as far as I am concerned.
    they are sort of dolls house furniture in style. not sure if i love them or not yet... been trying to decide for years
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    There's an elegant simplicity to some of the Luxman turntables that I like a lot

Agreed! Very stylish / classy thing
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    they are sort of dolls house furniture in style. not sure if i love them or not yet... been trying to decide for years
    I find I react quite strongly against a lot of 40s/50/early 60s styling.
    Packed full of negative vibes for me, for some reason.
    Clunky - that might be the 1-word-descriptor.
    I really don't like clunky.
    - that Luxman tt is the opposite of clunky.

I'm Adam.

Marco.
    Interesting! I’ve never tried an L-07D and would like to add one to the collection. However a couple of people whose ears I trust have told me that whilst they thought it was very good, they didn’t think it was in the real top of the top class in sound terms. One chap who used to sell them told me not to bother, as he reckoned that the Sony PS-X9 I have would “wipe the floor with it!”. Still, horses for courses I suppose.

Going back to style, I tend to agree with those offering up the LP12. I’ve always though it had an understated and simple elegance to it.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 58 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast