+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 58 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: The Most Beautiful and Ugliest Turntables

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Vrajbasi View Post
    I like it personally very neat and does not take two much room, always likes the notts analogue for its clean looks the notts analogue arm and the oragami look nice together, I see a red urushi? on the orgami whats the other cartridge
    Well spotted. Urushi Vermillion. Think the other might be the Benz Ebony, though it might also be my Transfig. Proteus. I swapped then around a bit. Different presentations with each cart. between the unipivot and the gimbal (both 12") Actually, the Dais is quite a big t/t, as well as weighing around 44 kg.

I'm Nari.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Beauty in the eye of the beholder and all that. Sound quality wise the AMG Giro destroyed the Oracle.

The Brinkman looks a lot like the AMG Viyella or the AMG looks like the Brinkman.

The amg was the brain child Werner Roeschlau who previously manufactured turntables and components for other companies, most notably Brinkmann - which may explain why they look similar.

It is enough to see the shape of the Brinkman Balance or even more so Bardo to spot the similarities. Brinkmann’s Balance uses an external motor and control unit and the Bardo incorporates a 'magnetic direct drive' system, the AMG Viella integrates its belt motor into the main chassis. The main bearing is also different. The AMG table uses the hydromechanical characteristics of the lubricant to simplify its bearing design. I met Werner at a show once he was a delightful man with many great ideas sadly not around any more. The AMG turntables certainly delightful always liked them over Brinkman personally. Not very well represented in the UK sadly
    Last edited by Vrajbasi; 06-09-2018 at 22:18.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm Grant.

Another Michell design, the Focus One was lovely; nice clean lines... Think it won the TT award here as nicest deck a few years ago

Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    The best sounding turntable I've ever heard (by a long way). Rockport Sirius.
    It looks impressive, if maybe not beautiful.

Heard/saw this at one of the Heathrow shows in the nineties; Stonking deck; stonking price. Nineties esoterica with bells on.

I'm Nari.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Not a fan of the look of earlier versions, but love the later Mk7 of the Townsend Rock.

I was never a fan of the Rock 7 I actually purchased one for a bit of fun not very well made I had to get a replacement twice, I liked the Rock V though I should have bought one as not many were made.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm Nari.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    Heard/saw this at one of the Heathrow shows in the nineties; Stonking deck; stonking price. Nineties esoterica with bells on.
    I remember meeting its designer at that show think it was the Heathrow Penta show back then, and remember him telling me that the motor drive had something to do with Nasa he showed me pictures of the custom made drive system seen nothing like it. I phoned him a year ago and said if one was to be made today it would be in the region of £400000 or thereabouts so would not bother producing them again dont blame him, I could never afford one.
    Last edited by Vrajbasi; 06-09-2018 at 22:22.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    The Oracle's never really done it for me, Neil. But I like the AMG

The Brinkmann 'Balance', for me, is also a rather nice-looking T/T, certainly beautifully engineered:

I'm 2/3 of the way there - I have the arm and a 'nuded' EMT cartridge (upon which the Brinkmann Ti is based).

PS Voltaire lived in the 18th century. The French spoken then was not the quite the same as would be spoken today.
    Barry

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Another Michell design, the Focus One was lovely; nice clean lines... Think it won the TT award here as nicest deck a few years ago

Love it!

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    The rare and definitely vintage IMF Transcription Turntable is striking. Not sure I'd call it beautiful though.

Excellent - although it does look a bit like something a lab technician has knocked together in his spare time

I'm gone.

Interesting, Geoff - I'd never come across the IMF before. Presumably they just badged it? Or maybe it really was just knocked together by one of their lab technicians, as Mike suggests!

Curiously similar looking platter to the magnetically levitating Gale 201, an iconic 70s design if ever their was one,

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 58 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast