+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CD problem

I'm Richard.

Default CD problem

Hi Guys advice sought.
    My CD player stopped reading discs so I cleaned the laser lens & it was fine.
    However after switching off, the problem recurred the next time I went to use it.
    I have repeated the above several times and the same thing keeps happening.
    Basically if I don't unplug there's no problem.
    Any ideas?

And don't say 'leave it switched on then'

I'm Grant.

Default CD problem

Might be the transport rails that are a bit gummed up. Try cleaning them and coat with graphite. A graphite pencil rubbed on rails is what I use. The coating on them can get gummed up and when warm will work but cold it sticks a bit.
    Worth a try
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Could be a dry or cracked joint or failing connection somewhere. If it's a really fancy player then worth getting it fixed, if not get another one. Good players are cheap second hand nowadays.

It isn't likely to be something you can fix yourself unless you know what you are doing. people always think it is the laser at fault but it rarely is.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Richard.

Thanks Grant but the rails are pretty spotless.

Yes Macca, it is worth fixing that's why I'm seeking advice. I don't think it's the laser as it works perfectly when not switched off in between sessions.

I have noticed that when I clean the lens (after switching off) the mounting it's contained in drops down approx 3-4mm. This seems to allow the Player to read the disc again & work perfectly.

I'm Grant.

sounds like its not focusing properly. could be a capacitor.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Simon.

What model is it?
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    What model is it?
    Helios 2 Simon.

I'm Dominic.

According to my drive/laser listing the Helios 2 has the CDM 12.4 mechanism.

They can be bought on ebay for around £30.00
    CD player = Marantz CD6006
    DAC/pre = Rotel RC 1572
    Power amp = ADA PF201
    Speaks = Quadral Chromium Style 6

I'm Paul.

Did you clean the lens using one of those cleaning CDs with the brush on the underside, or manually with something like a brush or a lens wipe?

Might be a servo mechanism sticking and the cleaning action and having a chance to warm up a bit is enough to free it up for a while.
    ~Paul~

I'm Richard.

Thanks Dominic.

I clean the lens manually with a lens wipe Paul. It could be the servo mechanism but not to do with warming up. I'm playing it right now but If I switch off & immediately back on ... The player doesn't spin to read the TOC so 'No disc' is displayed.

Cheers for the input so far guys.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast