+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Behringer Ultracurve DEQ2496

I'm David.

good work!!!!
    is that your site is it?
    i have spent a good amount of time reading an awful lot of stuff that goes right over my head on that site ... its very informative... good work on that too!!
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm ILOB.

Nick really knows his stuff and is a really decent guy and very helpful
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Nick.

Thanks guys. I've also spent time on your site Hamish, and must get round to signing up some time!

I'm David.

good man! get on it
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm Nick.

I should say that I am still refining that guide to (hopefully) make it easier to follow. So always check back to see if it is any more understandable!

I'm Dave.

nuuk

Very interesting reading. Thanks for doing that. I don't actually have one of those units, and now I'm not sure whether I'd want one or not. Isn't it possible to do all of this in software if audio is done via a computer? Maybe that's not realistic or affordable at the present time. One thing struck me that it's a pity the Behringer unit doesn't seem to have a computer interface, as if it did then presumably one could manage and save the profiles externally. Also, does it have DIN sockets - looks like it from the diagram - the 3 on the back left. Long time since I've seen anything with DIN.

One last point, you mention eliminating EQ points in the bass range if the loudspeakers used can't go that low. Is that really correct? Does eliminating the EQ points impose a filter (notch) on those frequencies - which might be desirable, or does it just not process those frequencies. Apart from the possible damage you mention, isn't it actually quite likely that if you drive a speaker at (say) 15 Hz and it only goes down to 40 Hz, that it'll produce harmonics - perhaps at 60 Hz (maybe also at 45Hz?)? The human ear might still interpret this more or less "correctly". It might make sense to actively manage unwanted frequencies to minimise any such effects.

Good work anyway - thanks for doing it.
    Dave

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    nuuk

Isn't it possible to do all of this in software if audio is done via a computer?

One thing struck me that it's a pity the Behringer unit doesn't seem to have a computer interface, as if it did then presumably one could manage and save the profiles externally.

Also, does it have DIN sockets - looks like it from the diagram - the 3 on the back left. Long time since I've seen anything with DIN.

One last point, you mention eliminating EQ points in the bass range if the loudspeakers used can't go that low. Is that really correct? Does eliminating the EQ points impose a filter (notch) on those frequencies - which might be desirable, or does it just not process those frequencies.

Apart from the possible damage you mention, isn't it actually quite likely that if you drive a speaker at (say) 15 Hz and it only goes down to 40 Hz, that it'll produce harmonics - perhaps at 60 Hz (maybe also at 45Hz?)? The human ear might still interpret this more or less "correctly". It might make sense to actively manage unwanted frequencies to minimise any such effects.
    Yes Dave, I believe that there is computer software to do all the stuff the DEQ2496 does. I did see such a system somewhere but it wasn't cheap!

The DEQ2496 does have a computer interface. It is primarily for updating the software and I don't know what else it can do.

The DIN sockets on the back are midi interface that also has something to do with connecting to a PC or MIDI equipment.

By not equalising the frequencies below what the speaker is capable of, those frequencies are left unaltered, or in the case of using that curved target response, they would be left slightly attenuated.

If you try and EQ down to 20 hz (lowest the DEQ2496 does) you will only hear any harmonics if the speaker itself can produce those frequencies which they can't without damage.

I'm Dave.

Nuuk
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuuk View Post
    By not equalising the frequencies below what the speaker is capable of, those frequencies are left unaltered, or in the case of using that curved target response, they would be left slightly attenuated.

If you try and EQ down to 20 hz (lowest the DEQ2496 does) you will only hear any harmonics if the speaker itself can produce those frequencies which they can't without damage.
    So surely it'd be better to use the EQ and severely attenuate frequencies around or below the lowest frequency the speaker can reasonably handle, otherwise they'll be passed at 0dB.

Your point about the harmonics is the one I was making earlier.
    Dave

I'm Nick.

Yes, there may be gains to be had from relieving some speakers of any frequencies below that which they have been designed to handle. And there's nothing to stop you manually setting those sliders as low as you wish.

My system will go down to 20 hz so it's not something that I had given much thought to.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234