+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: More HDMI schennanigans

I'm Gary.

Picked up the American "Wireworld copy" HDMI cable and plumbed it in.

The Bluejeans was good, this is better, by quite a bit.

Remembering that the cable is used for music only over i2s:
    Soundstage had opened right up in comparison, instruments had a better sense of scale sounding dynamically more "real", stopping and starting more realistically, the feel of plucked guitar strings, piano keys being hit...kind of thing.
    A bit bass light compared to the Bluejeans initially, but its starting to fill in and open up even more now with some hours on it.

Battle of the cheaper cables won, will live with it for a while then compare to the pukka Wireworld cable.
    Not cheap...but see if I can borrow one from a dealer somewhere to compare.

Will need to be night and day better though, as this cable gets a big part of the way there, big step up from the Bluejeans.

Happy Chappie.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Gary.

Have some HDMI 2.1 optical 48Gb/s HDMI cables coming from Japanshire, “8K ready” apparently...

Not caught up in the technology rat race naming thing...if it’s better it’s better.
    See what happens.

Interesting enough I thought to take a punt in that it’s a completely different wiring topology?
    Uses glass optical for signal transfer, copper for power.
    All the signs are good and it should be at least as good as what I have, who knows.
    Comparing for video against the active Remere ones I like, and for i2s audio against the “Wireworld beater” (and it did indeed beat a very spendy Wireworld cable) I use between my Oppo and i2s dac.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 20-06-2019 at 20:41.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Gary.

Info on the cable and Reviews here: (4.9/5 from 399 ratings)
    https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32952707471.html

ok, what did I think of it?
    As suspected, like the Monoprice Redmere ones I currently have for video, it didn’t function as an i2s audio cable, so sticking with what I have for that.
    Took a punt on a 1m one to try, came from Japan and took about ten days to get here.

Thin flexible rubber coated cable, (think Van Damme pro patch cable)
    Solid construction on metal bodied, gold plated plugs...construction A+
    I use an Nvidia Shield android box to stream Netflix, YouTube and the like to the HDMI input of my Oppo 203, Monoprice Redmere cable to the TV for video, 0.5m i2s cable to the Directstream dac for audio.
    The Nvidia box passes whatever it’s fed from T’internet untouched to the Oppo’s HDMI input and basically acts as a streaming add-on to it.
    A duff HDMI cable at this point would limit what happens later in the chain, so there’s a need for the best quality HDMI cable to pass video and audio to the Oppo.

Well, out with the old and in with the new as they say.

The Monoprice Redmere was the best one I’d tried up till this one, and it’s noticeably bettered in both video and audio quality by the optical HDMI one I’ve just plumbed in.
    Biggest takeaway is on 4K Dolby Vision broadcasts, the HDR is more pronounced and motion seems smoother and more natural.
    This is real high bandwidth stuff and I wonder if the cable is just letting the kit do its thing that little bit better?
    Similar trickle down improvements on 1080p Blu-ray and even YouTube.
    A bit of a find this one, though not as much as a billy-bargain as the Redmere one.

Be interesting to see what another one between the Oppo and the OLED panel does for overall picture, will be pulling the trigger on a 2m one for that.

Best I’ve tried yet, and feel I’m seeing more of what my AV setup is capable of.
    Very noticeable improvement over the Redmere ones, even with YouTube never mind Netflix or Amazon @ 4K.
    Highly recommended.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 21-06-2019 at 17:06.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Brian.

Well..if you've improved what you had the last time I was over I need to see ( and hear ) this
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Gary.

Noticable step up mate, wait till I get a 2nd one for the telly and I'll give you a shout.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Brian.

OK bud , haven't been up for a while
    Regards
    Brian

I'm Gary.

Miss you ya old biddy
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Brian.

You bein cheeky
    Regards
    Brian

I'm Grant.

You tell the whippersnapper
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gary.

Go try to say something nice about someone....sheesh.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast