+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: More HDMI schennanigans

I'm barry.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Barry, if you want to discuss the topic of whether or not there is a difference between the same standard of HDMI cable start a separate thread for it.

This is a subjectivist forum so threads like this one are going to start with an assumption that there are differences, and this thread is about that, not whether there is any difference.
    Sorry to me that makes no sense? But OK.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    I've done many shootouts of my own...thanks, with my own AV equipment in my own environment.
    Prefer to try things for myself in my own system and base my view on the evidence of my own eyes ‘n ears; whatever the results may be.

Hence the thread I started here.
    And that is the only way to do it. I've tried various 'calibration sites', and in the end I've always preferred what my eyes tell me to what the calibration sites say the optimum setting should be.
    Barry

I'm barry.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    And that is the only way to do it. I've tried various 'calibration sites', and in the end I've always preferred what my eyes tell me to what the calibration sites say the optimum setting should be.
    and not what the director intended remembering we are paying for all these controls on TV's etc to get it right then we go and put on what we think is right, instead of adhering to the industry standards that help us achieve the correct PQ?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie View Post
    and not what the director intended remembering we are paying for all these controls on TV's etc to get it right then we go and put on what we think is right, instead of adhering to the industry standards that help us achieve the correct PQ?
    And who is to say what these "industry standards" are when it comes to "correct PQ"? As far as I'm concerned; blacks should be black, not dark gey or green; whites should be white, free from any tint, and flesh tones should be as realistic as possible. Most TV have the RGB gamut far too saturated - it may look 'impressive' but it's un-natural; in much the same way as Kodak Ektachrome is un-natural compared to Kodachrome.
    Barry

I'm Grant.

Been testing a Panasonic uhd player. Even on HD TV playing just dvd or blueray it's a superior pic. Not anywhere near build quality of the oppo tho
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm barry.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    And who is to say what these "industry standards" are when it comes to "correct PQ"? As far as I'm concerned; blacks should be black, not dark gey or green; whites should be white, free from any tint, and flesh tones should be as realistic as possible. Most TV have the RGB gamut far too saturated - it may look 'impressive' but it's un-natural; in much the same way as Kodak Ektachrome is un-natural compared to Kodachrome.
    Because industry standard is what they all adhere to Rec 709 or 2002. You said the RGB gamut is to saturated that is why we calibrate TV's, to get the correct colour gamut. Whites are never white, and yes blacks should be black.

These videos will help with the basics, after that professional calibration is the way to go:

https://www.avforums.com/PicturePerfect/

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Been testing a Panasonic uhd player. Even on HD TV playing just dvd or blueray it's a superior pic. Not anywhere near build quality of the oppo tho
    Interesting!
    Things move on, as they should I guess.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Interesting!
    Things move on, as they should I guess.
    Yup, it's quite a nice player for money. I wouldn't swap it and money and give up the oppo tho.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gary.

Latest HDMI shenanigans...

Sorted for i2s audio Hdmi, and thought I was too for video HDMI?
    Until I bought an Apple TV 4K box...

Wanting to get the best bang for buck out my spend (as always) i took a deep(ish) dive into HDMI cables again.

Happily,
    the bit of wire that brings out the best of it is fairly affordable (Under 30 quid) and in terms of visual picture quality betters anything else I've ever had hooked up in my setup.
    (including some quite spendy things)

Its an HDMI 2.1 certified cable (48GBPS @ 4K)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-AV10.../dp/B075N83B9X

Current State of the Art folks. (imo)
    Last edited by Gazjam; 30-10-2021 at 21:02.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456